Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which rack should I take on my drive across Western Canada?

• Take the Hitch mounted platform rack

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Mount the bike on the frame mount on the roof

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a long drive with my SUV (Hyundai Santa FE) accross canada.

I have a Swagman XTC4 4 place platform rack and a older thule roof rack, non fork- frame mount and not sure which I should use for just my road bike.

The hitch one prevents me from opening the hatch and extends out - I am only taking 1 bike. And extends the lenght of the vehicle for any parking. Its bulky to deal with, but if I need a second bike on there (a large what if), I can do it.

The roof one is way on top, I have to take a folding stool to get up there and that robs room in the cabin. I have a lycra bra for it but not sure how many hundreds of miles will that last before shreds apart (if it does) and be covered in bugs and debris. I would imagine the roof rack would rob some gas mileage.

Not sure which I should take.:madman:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd probably go for the roof rack.

The bras will kill your gas mileage. My most recent thought was to wrap all the exposed parts of the bike that take the bug hits (bars, forks, seat post) in saran wrap and then secure it with tie wraps. When I get there, pop off the tie wraps and saran wrap and ride. The saran wrap ought to stay in place pretty well especially if secured with tie wraps or tape. Should also be decent for protecting from occasional rock up on the roof (rare).

J.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Hitch Baby......Better Gas milage, more protection......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am back from the vacation and used my hitch mount.

Went down a gravel roads and the bike gets insanely dusty I had hit some highway construction that had 10km of mud. Needless to say my roadbike was covered in it (didnt look right at all).

BUT---- the car got pelted with bugs so the roof mount prably wouldve been ugly too.

Dont think you can win either way unless the bike is in a plastic bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts