Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where would you go if you had a three day weekend coming up? GT/JHMR or DV?

• GT/JHMR bike park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deer Valley bike park

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you pick if you had a long weekend coming up (we have three riding days)? Grand Targhee/Jackson Hole Mountain Resort bike parks or Deer valley bike park? Assume DH bikes, no trail bikes. Same drive time.

·
May The Force Be With You
2,729 Posts
i've only been to Deer Valley and it's a big fun mountain

Reactions: Nat

·
May The Force Be With You
2,729 Posts
told you so ;) .. Fire Swamp, back around 2008 that was still the old NORBA DH pro course. I loved and feared that upper rock garden section back then

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For next year: JH's Dirty Hairy is a legit burly downhill trail. They are getting after it.
Right on. I'd heard that they were doing a lot of building lately. I look forward to visiting.

Is lodging going up sharply in price there? About five years ago I stayed in Driggs for something around $300/night but this year just about everything that I looked at was like $1000/night or more. Even a campsite was $125/night.

·
beater
6,229 Posts
Right on. I'd heard that they were doing a lot of building lately. I look forward to visiting.

Is lodging going up sharply in price there? About five years ago I stayed in Driggs for something around $300/night but this year just about everything that I looked at was like $1000/night or more. Even a campsite was $125/night.
Jackson is insane. Motel 6 for $500/night. It's nutty. I've internalized that a night at GT should be ~$150 and the Driggs Super 8 should be about $100 so I'm hosed. We looked at an impromptu weekend down there and gave up. These days I do most of my riding there on race weekends so the lodging is covered under expenses.

Unfortunately people are paying it, so I don't see a return to pre-COVID rates in the short term.

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jackson is insane. Motel 6 for $500/night. It's nutty. I've internalized that a night at GT should be ~$150 and the Driggs Super 8 should be about $100 so I'm hosed. We looked at an impromptu weekend down there and gave up. These days I do most of my riding there on race weekends so the lodging is covered under expenses.

Unfortunately people are paying it, so I don't see a return to pre-COVID rates in the short term.
Ooof.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Follow up -- we had an AWESOME time at DV. Looking at their trail map I was a little concerned that the place might be a bit small but we were able to make several fun trail combinations over the course of three days that kept us happy.
I'm late to the party as usual. I haven't ridden JH yet, but I have done both GT and DV. DV was the best by far. My son and I had so much fun on the steep tech. GT was just massive braking bumps on a horrid rental DH bike. I think the XC stuff was fun there though. I would definitely go back to DV.

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm late to the party as usual. I haven't ridden JH yet, but I have done both GT and DV. DV was the best by far. My son and I had so much fun on the steep tech. GT was just massive braking bumps on a horrid rental DH bike. I think the XC stuff was fun there though. I would definitely go back to DV.
Yeah, we're talking about going back to DV next summer. DV and Whistler, then after that I'll fill in the gaps with more Canada I think.

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it will be some interior BC parks for us next year. I would really like to ride Big White.
Big White looks fun! Silver Star too. Maybe I should take two weeks off and hit a few places along this route: https://www.mountainbikingbc.ca/ride-ideas-road-trips/bc-bike-parks/

How about Retallack? That would be an experience!

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Big White looks fun! Silver Star too. Maybe I should take two weeks off and hit a few places along this route: https://www.mountainbikingbc.ca/ride-ideas-road-trips/bc-bike-parks/

How about Retallack? That would be an experience!
Oh yeah, definitely Silverstar too. Might even make it over to the Revelstoke bike park.

Retallak looks amazing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.