Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you carry a firearm while mountain biking?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • No, but maybe I should.

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • No, never, and don't feel the need.

Votes: 147 65.3%
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but do you carry a firearm while riding your bike? If so, please give your reason: wildlife? other dangerous humans? something else? PLEASE don't go into gun control and whether or not it's good/bad to carry a firearm. I just want to know whether or not you carry one, and maybe a little bit about why/why not. Particularly where you ride, if that matters in your response.

Thanks

PS I am just curious, and possibly might write up the results, but will not use anyone's response or names without permission, of course.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Nope. Too heavy.

Seriously have never considered it. Boston area rider. While possible to meet trouble in the woods, I consider it safe. With the exception of gang abandoned pitbulls, most wildlife is intimidated by me. Night riding spooks me, but not enough to pack iron.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
PLEASE don't go into gun control and whether or not it's good/bad to carry a firearm. I just want to know whether or not you carry one, and maybe a little bit about why/why not.

Thanks

PS I am just curious, and possibly might write up the results, but will not use anyone's response or names without permission, of course.
If somebody wants my bike bad enough to pull a gun on me, they've got bigger problems than me trying to out shoot them. I guess if I was in California, where people continue to push animals out of their natural habitat and then scratch their head when they get attacked...nah, not even then. Guns are dumb, and if you don't like my point of view, try and shoot me.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
Just curious, but do you carry a firearm while riding your bike? If so, please give your reason: wildlife? other dangerous humans? something else? PLEASE don't go into gun control and whether or not it's good/bad to carry a firearm. I just want to know whether or not you carry one, and maybe a little bit about why/why not. Particularly where you ride, if that matters in your response.

Thanks

I don't carry a gun on trails and have never felt the need. Any place to ride where carrying a gun would be necessary......I'd stay away from like the plague.

Seriously.....How many mtb incidents have you heard of where a gun ould have helped? I don't buy the mountain lion reason. If you were being stalked by a mountain lion, you would never know it until it was too late. Very few Pumas will wait until you have the gun ready.

As far as I'm concerned, humans are the biggest reason why I would carry a gun.......but I won't. I'll just avoid any area where a gun would be necessary.....where ever that is.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Sometimes.

But only when I am a long ways from any kind of population. I am in Alaska, so there are very real areas where a firearm may be a tool to help you survive. Alaska issues CCW permits for those that are deemed worthy by the State.

There have been a few times dealing with Moose that I thought I needed one. I dont even want to talk about Bears. They scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When living in north western Montana, I nevered carried a gun, but I rarely left home without a can of high powered bear spray. I started carrying it after the neighbor told me a story of a close moose attack. Thankfully, I never used the spray, but there were a few close calls with large, sometimes aggresive mammals. I have never considered carrying a gun because I believe bear spray is more effective as critter deterent.

Also while living in Montana, there were several locals who had gun and/or bow mounts on they bicycles for hunting purposes. Many of the old logging roads were closed to motorized vehicles but bikes were still allowed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
No guns, nothing against 'em, just don't need 'em.

I live/ride in northern ID

My personal beliefs:
1) if a person believes they need a gun for "defense" or to "survive" in the outdoors, that person should probably stick closer to Starbucks - everyone will be better off.
2) packing a gun in the wilds is like brushguards on SUV's. It may look cool to your buddies, but neither ever gets used for what it is designed for.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
you never know

guns would be for other people, not for animals (for the most part)

I was riding in backwoods oregon one time and came out of a trail
right into some guys that were stripping a new mercedes on a loggin road.
They looked like they had been sleeping in the dirt for days. I thought
they were going to take us out since we saw them doing
what they were doing.

To boot I was with my girlfriend and she was down to her sports bra,
she ussually wore a t-shirt around people, but took of the t shirt
for hot climbs, which we had jsut finished.

I tell you, we just rode away...but those guys gave us a look like they were going
to do to us what they were doing to the car.... scarey stuff.

·
Registered
837 Posts
TimE said:
guns would be for other people, not for animals (for the most part)

I...snip...

I tell you, we just rode away...but those guys gave us a look like they were going
to do to us what they were doing to the car.... scarey stuff.
You kinda make my point for me. You rode away and nothing happened. With the addition of firearms, who knows how things would have escalated.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
debaucherous said:
You kinda make my point for me. You rode away and nothing happened. With the addition of firearms, who knows how things would have escalated.
I hear you, and I am glad it went that way. but it was freaky and could have gone the other way.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I don't need a gun. I know karate.

Seriously, I carry a fairly large camping knife, but that is more for general purpose than self defense. A gun I don't find necessary in the area I live in, in Northern California. If I were to bike where there is a dense population of bears I would carry a gun, but I would probably not put myself into that position in the first place.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was riding thru the city one night. A pedestrian made a jump at me while i was passing him. I carried a gun for a few weeks after that when i went night riding in the city. I got over it. God takes care of me.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I.....How many mtb incidents have you heard of where a gun ould have helped? I don't buy the mountain lion reason. If you were being stalked by a mountain lion, you would never know it until it was too late. .
BS, nearly every mountain lion incident we hear about does not include the unexpected attack. Oh a few have for sure, but these do not make up the majority of the "encounters" out there.

There are a lot of people that go out there and DO notice mountain lions, in fact they are "chased" by them in the sense that the lion keeps them in view, but it doesn't attack (because it's deciding if it wants to or not)...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here in New Mexico more people are carrying them while riding, I think. We just had a guy shoot some dogs and their owner. Plus we now have more incidents of hikers/joggers/runners shoving mtbr's and setting traps.

I own them, but they stay at home or in the car. A 9mm will do nothing but anger a bear, even with the black talons that it's loaded with. I guess I could carry a 50 cal desert eagle. NAH!

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Depends upon the area I'm riding (and BTW I am trained and legally authorized to carry). I choose all my gear appropriate for the specific ride- which may or may not include a large CamelBak, multitool, spare tire tube.... or a gun. A firearm is a tool- nothing more and nothing less. It is a tool which does require some training and maintenance if one chooses to have one (assuming it is legal in your locale). Those unwilling to make this investment of time and effort are probably best served by NOT having one (much as I am best served by NOT having a bottom bracket wrench!). In high risk areas (remote or urban) the proper use of a firearm (as a last-ditch effort) can be lifesaving. The best first response to any threat, however, is always avoidance. Unfortunately, that is not possible in every situation. That is the reason that the majority of states in the U.S. now have some provision for the issuance of firearm carry permits to selected civilians. (The state of Vermont requires no license at all).

·
self destructive
169 Posts
krank said:
I own them, but they stay at home or in the car. A 9mm will do nothing but anger a bear, even with the black talons that it's loaded with. I guess I could carry a 50 cal desert eagle. NAH!
just get a desert eagle .357 mag or a wheel gun in a 357 mag

1 - 20 of 131 Posts