Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary Fisher has recently moded their Cake design. I am looking at getting one for my father for christmas. He is 6'2" with a 34" inseem. Im going to get him the cake 3 with 4 inches of front and rear travel and dropped top tube. which size should I go with, the 19" or 21"

·
ride lots
56 Posts
I don't own one but rented a 19" Cake when I was on holiday in Hawaii. I am a bit shorter than your friend at 6' but have the same or longer inseam. I think the 21" would probably be a bit too big. Fisher bikes have an extra long toptube and on the 21" it's 25.5 inches! My guess is he'd fit OK on the 19" one.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
What are the options from the shop?

Gift Certificates? Can you buy him the bike, and take him to the shop for a fitting? Is it a suprize?

I have been fitting bikes for years, and this is always a touchy one.

What is your Fathers cycling background? What kind of trails will it be used on? Does he have a bike now that he is happy with? (as far as the fit?) If so, measure the top tube of his current ride for an idea about TT length.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He will be riding cross-country/trail in michigan. He currently rides a 21" tassajara and it just looks like too much of a bike, that's why im thinking he'd be more comfortable on the 19". I measured his current bike, then set up a 19" cake to see how it was. the seat post still has about 1-2" until max and the reach (effective top tube) is just as long.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am the shop. and all my co-workers are stuck on it too. I'm gonna go with the 19", since it has the long reach. the seat is a bit over the handlebars looking at it horizontally. I nervous about it, but we have the 21" in reserve if the 19" fails to fit.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Excellent.

KC.K. said:
I am the shop. and all my co-workers are stuck on it too. I'm gonna go with the 19", since it has the long reach. the seat is a bit over the handlebars looking at it horizontally. I nervous about it, but we have the 21" in reserve if the 19" fails to fit.
I work for a good shop, and that is what I was leading in to.

It sounds like a 19" is what is needed, but you know all about trying to fit someone without seeing them. I am in Alaska, so I ship a good number of bikes to the bush sight unseen. (always a tough call.)

Man, at 6'2", 34" inseam? Rough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.