Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 02 that shows some hazing, surface scrathes, etc. Since it is never going to stop raining in Virginia I thought about polishing the frame. I assume this is a powder coating, yes? Can you use a polishing compound on it or is that too abrasive? I know clear coat finishes require care and would like to know what I'm dealing with as far as the Turner finish goes. Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've got a non-abrasive polishing compound, that I will try - followed by a wax.

I have also some decent de-greaser bike cleaner that I would apply first as you find that the grease from your moving parts actually smears the paint.

I use the stuff from here. They are the sole british importer for this german stuff.

http://www.iauto.co.uk/system/index.htm

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Before I sold my Giant in order to get a Ellsworth, I used simple car polish on my bike which was painted. The frame was looking a little dull and there were some minor scratches.

I washed my bike using warm water, soap, and some degreaser. Then dried it thoroughly. Applied the car polish (It was BMW brand - not that it will matter) let it dry and then used a white cotton cloth and polished it in a circular manner - applying a good bit of elbow grease.

Here is the finished product. I was very happy with it:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've tried Meguiars Paint Cleaner followed by wax. This didn't remove the small numerous scratches that are creating a dull, hazy finish. Think I'll get some fine polishing compound and try a small spot. The Paint Cleaner really wasn't very abrasive and although it claimed to "remove fine swirl marks" it didn't do much. Thanks for tip about degreaser. rone: haven't seen the stuff you mention in US but there is a lot of product to choose from.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I would prefer a polished frame but I'm not up for that much work. I just want to clean up the paint for now.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
jennasdad said:
Yeah, I would prefer a polished frame but I'm not up for that much work. I just want to clean up the paint for now.
If you would like to have your frame polished, here is how to get it done.

Send the frame to be chemically stripped. Olympic powdercoating in Santa Ana CA can do that. Talk to Mark Cherry(714) 979-2720

Then send your frame to Bush Metal Polishing in Garden Grove CA to be siceled. Talk to Dave Bush
(714) 537-7440

Then send your frame to Custom Metal Finishing in Gardena CA to be ball burnished. Talk to Rosie. (310) 532-5075

This will make your frame nice and shinny!

Now, simple polishing of the frame will deteriorate over time as the aluminum is essentialy a raw state and has no protection from the elements. We have only done it a handfull of times in the past but feel it would be a good addition if you are going to take the time to have your frame done. Clear anodizing the frame would give the frame a layer of protection of becoming a dull finish over the years. Custom metal finishing can also help with that. By no means am I making any sort of guarantees to the process above and it would be wuite possible for a frame to be ruined in nearly any step above. It has been very rare for us to have any trouble in the past and the reason we recommend these vendors. They are some of the best we have ever worked with and continue to provide great service.

Good luck on your quest to the shiny bike. I would estimate each step of the process would take about 1 week, but could be longer depending on the work load of any particular vendor.

Casey
Turner Bikes

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info Casey. Do you have advice on removing light scrathes, hazing from powder coat finish? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
jennasdad said:
Thanks for the great info Casey. Do you have advice on removing light scrathes, hazing from powder coat finish? Thanks.
That is definitely an area in which I have 0 experience. I am guessing some sort of car polish designed to do the same thing would work??? Use those scratches as a badge of honor, each one with a great story of some amazing ride? Chicks dig scars!

Casey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts