Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a scandium frame and i am considering polishing it, any problems with polishing scandium? I will had a orotective clear coat after removing the paint and polishing the frame

·
Registered
168 Posts
Scandium frames are not made out of scandium alone. It's aluminum alloyed with scandium, and you can probably polish it like any other aluminum alloy.

Straight from Salsa's website: "In the bicycle world, Scandium refers to frame tubing made from an aluminum alloy that includes the element Scandium. In most cases, the tubing base is a high-strength, 7000-series aluminum alloy."

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Davide said:
i just bought a scandium frame and i am considering polishing it, any problems with polishing scandium? I will had a orotective clear coat after removing the paint and polishing the frame
If you are going to get a clear coat on it, and use it in the dirt, then have it clear powder coated. Spray on liquid won't last. You could just leave it raw. My Tracer has been polished out(original ball burnished) and it is raw. I touch it up once a month with a quick liquid polish. It still looks great after two years. This way, you could leave raw and always disassemble and polish it again to a brand new look.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quattro said:
If you are going to get a clear coat on it, and use it in the dirt, then have it clear powder coated. Spray on liquid won't last. You could just leave it raw. My Tracer has been polished out(original ball burnished) and it is raw. I touch it up once a month with a quick liquid polish. It still looks great after two years. This way, you could leave raw and always disassemble and polish it again to a brand new look.
sounds good, probably all i have to do is to strip the paint, polish with some very light buffing and i am set!o

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.