Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I have the opportunity to buy this frame, fork, and the pictured components, but I am curious if the frame is legitimate. Based on the research I have done, this bike may have been a '97 XT, but the "Schwinn" sticker does not match those pictured in the '97 Schwinn catalog.

Is this bike really a homegrown, or has it been re-stickered? I have requested more photos from the seller.

Could any of you tell me more?

Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't believe they made an all polished Homegrown. Doesn't mean someone couldn't polish and re-sticker one themselves of course. I know one of the S95 bikes came in an all polish

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I was on bonustomato.com and the '97 homegrown catalog has a picture of a polished xt schwinn homegrown that was built by control tech out of 6061 aluminum.

Does anyone else know if this could be the 1997 homegrown xt?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks onecogfrog,

I see that the polished homegrown xt is also listed in 1996, but there are no photos of either bike.

The seller has promised to send me more detailed photos soon, so I might be able to identify the frame based on serial number, dropout markings or other distinguishing features.

Please chime in if you know anything about this bike.

John

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just send payment this afternoon. Paypal e-checks take forever to clear, but I'll post some pics when I get it.

I'll probably build it up with some inexpensive parts that I have on hand, and if I like the feel of the bike, I'll upgrade to nicer stuff. I can't afford major bling, but a couple hundred dollars invested into this bike is probably as close as I am ever going to get to an ~20 pound weightweenie build.

Has anybody got a super light rim brake wheelset, or any other components they are willing to let go for a low price?

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
Yes, that is a real one - its the made in the USA frame but not the Yetti-buit "factory" frame. These are 6061 AL. I have '97 XT in the garage just like it, but red. We sold the polished ones that year at the shop, I remember they looked cool. Mine has the center canti guide and is a '97 and came with Vs. I think these were really left over '96s that they sold in '97.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.