Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am torn between the trans. red and the polished Heckler. Is the polished version raw aluminium or is there laquer on it. If it is raw aluminium, does it get dark fast? Does enyone have a picture of an "old" polished Heckler that has not been polished for a while?

Kristian

·
Tear it all out!
7,721 Posts
I have a polished Bullit.

A bit of Mother's mag polish makes it look like new (removing scrapes and scratches). It must have some type of coating on it as it doesn't oxidize.

If I had a choice, I would have gotten anodized, but since it wasn't an option on the Bullit in 03, I went with polished.

·
Registered
162 Posts
04 polished heckler..

I have an 04 polished heckler. Pretty easy to maintain. I also use Mothers polish. Paint or polished the frame is going to beat up. The cool thing about a polished frame is that most of the small stuff can be buffed out with polish, a soft cloth and a little elbow grease. Once you clean it the bigger scratches dont show as bad on a polished frame like they do on a painted frame. Anodized finish is usually tougher than paint but it will still scratch and the only way I have seen it touched up is with permanent markers that IMO didnt do a great job.

·
Australien
284 Posts
okie_calvin said:
doesn't oxidize, so no worries of rust if you were to scratch through whatever coating is applied to the raw aluminum
Rubbish, untreated aluminium will oxidise easily in a few days. However, once it's oxidised the oxide layer provides a barrier to further oxidation. Anodising is an extreme and deliberate example of this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've run a polished Blur for a year, and I'm surprised how well the bare aluminum holds up. I went with the polished cause I was used to my previous Ti frame, which was minimal maintenance, and never had any paint to get scratched. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the polished Al frames. A mild abrasive wax polishing compound is the best thing to clean and polish the frame. I use turtle wax red rubbing compound

·
Registered
178 Posts
Polished, Ano, or painted??

Guys, I need some help... I want a new heckler, but I'm torn on the color choices... I thought I wanted a Trans Red, but now I'm leaning away from that as a friend of mine has it on her Julianna and i didn't like it as much as I thought I would.... I kinda like the Trans blue as well, but I haven't see it in person so I'm not sure....

I didn't think I wanted polished because I though it would be hard to keep it looking good as I've seen a lot of older polished frames that didn't look good anymore- but I'm thinking it was because their owners didn't take the effort to keep them looking good. The polished look is really growing on me and I'm always working on my bikes so a few extra calories to keep it looking good doesn't bother me- as long as the effort will keep the bike looking good.

The ano choices are somewhat limited w/ the heckler and from the pics online, I don't think I like the silver too much. The black looks pretty good, but without seeing one in person (my local shop doesn't have hardly any santa cruz bikes in stock), I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions from you guys have either have or have seem these color choices would be great... Thanks!!

Mr. Indecisive.

·
Registered
918 Posts
chris87114 said:
Guys, I need some help... I want a new heckler, but I'm torn on the color choices... I thought I wanted a Trans Red, but now I'm leaning away from that as a friend of mine has it on her Julianna and i didn't like it as much as I thought I would.... I kinda like the Trans blue as well, but I haven't see it in person so I'm not sure....

I didn't think I wanted polished because I though it would be hard to keep it looking good as I've seen a lot of older polished frames that didn't look good anymore- but I'm thinking it was because their owners didn't take the effort to keep them looking good. The polished look is really growing on me and I'm always working on my bikes so a few extra calories to keep it looking good doesn't bother me- as long as the effort will keep the bike looking good.

The ano choices are somewhat limited w/ the heckler and from the pics online, I don't think I like the silver too much. The black looks pretty good, but without seeing one in person (my local shop doesn't have hardly any santa cruz bikes in stock), I'm just not sure.

Any suggestions from you guys have either have or have seem these color choices would be great... Thanks!!

Mr. Indecisive.
I'm not that crazy about the matte ano finishes, because I like my bike to shine when clean. They are the most durable and require the least care, though.

I had a polished Blur for about a year, and it did look great with a bit of work. I was careful to keep anything from rubbing the frame, especially when dirty. Anything will scratch it (the mirror finish doesn't last), but it still looks fine when clean, and with a bit of polish. There are areas that will deteriorate (under down tube, stays) unless you keep them covered. I don't have to worry about salt where I live, that may be a concern if you're near the ocean or they salt your roads.

I have a root beer (trans brown) Heckler now; it looks great, and powder coat is cheaper than the other finishes. I think the gloss orange or trans blue would look great, too. I'm sure the trans colors would be hard to touch up, but solids should be OK. I definitely recommend wrapping both chainstays on a Heckler (shoe rub as well as chain slap), and using clear vinyl (I cut up a chainstay protector) at all cable rub spots. I figure if I still like the frame after a few years, and want to freshen the cosmetics, I can have it redone in a custom color and still be ahead of the ano or polished price.

So, especially if cost is an issue, I'd recommend a powdercoat frame, and use the savings for one of the shock upgrades (DHX) or a nicer fork (DUC32, maybe Fox 36).

-David

·
Registered
318 Posts
Get the polished> As beat up as the finish gets, you can polish it right back whenever you want. You beat up your painted frame, it will look like a beat up frame no matter how much you polish it.

OLAK
beat up polished blur (until the weather changes, so I can polish it up again)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions...

Just wondering, how well can you polish the scratches out of the frame? Looking at Steelduck's pictures of his frame, it looks like it has a mirror-like polish when new... Fallzboater (David) made the comments that the mirror-like finish doesn't last. Is it possible to polish it back to a near mirror-like finish with some elbow grease and some good polish?

·
Registered
318 Posts
chris87114 said:
Just wondering, how well can you polish the scratches out of the frame? Looking at Steelduck's pictures of his frame, it looks like it has a mirror-like polish when new... Fallzboater (David) made the comments that the mirror-like finish doesn't last. Is it possible to polish it back to a near mirror-like finish with some elbow grease and some good polish?
surface scuffing no problem. Obviously the deeper the scratch, the more difficult to polish out. I used some wet dry super fine paper to sand out some deeper scratches before buffing. If you want to polish it back to a mirror, you can do that, but you can have it looking quite nice just with a little elbow grease and polishing compound.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Which Polish

I have a polished Chameleon for a few months now.
I have been using 3M Cleaner Wax - Light Oxidation Remover (as it says on the bottle)

There seem some water marks/stains that i cant easily remove.
Should I try another polish..?
Please be as specific as u like

Also does everyone polish by hand or use buffers now and then?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.