Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I spent my first Father's Day as a Father. 7 Hours it took me and I will never do it again. They first had to be hand sanded with 150 grit to get the paint off, then they had to be sanded to get all of the imperfections out. I brought them up to a high polish using Mothers Mag and then brushed finished them with scotchbrite to match my frame.

Attachments

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Looking good 1strongone1!

It's quite likely that they were anodized cranks? If so, oven cleaner or something with lye (nasty stuff) in it would have made the job a lot quicker for you! :D

I dig the brushed finish though!

Dave.

1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low_Rider said:
Looking good 1strongone1!

It's quite likely that they were anodized cranks? If so, oven cleaner or something with lye (nasty stuff) in it would have made the job a lot quicker for you! :D

I dig the brushed finish though!

Dave.
I thought the same, but I did my homework before hand and they are painted.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think they look fresh. I think I want to do the same to my hollowtech II LX's but I don't know if I really want to take the time.

Did you do all of the sanding by hand or did you a dremel or something?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Those look very familiar!

I did the same thing a couple of weeks back, although I used a buffing wheel at work to make it go a lot quicker! I was also lazy and did not do the back of the arms. Those arms were originally painted, and quickly had deep shoe rub marks that make them look like crap. The brushed finish looks much nicer, especially with the Boone ring! Anyway, nice work.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a couple questions about doing this to my crankset...
1. Anyone know if LX Hollowtechs are painted or anodized?
2. Anyone know how to get the spider off a set of LX cranks?

I want mine high polish to match my ENO!

1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bikeny said:
I did the same thing a couple of weeks back, although I used a buffing wheel at work to make it go a lot quicker! I was also lazy and did not do the back of the arms. Those arms were originally painted, and quickly had deep shoe rub marks that make them look like crap. The brushed finish looks much nicer, especially with the Boone ring! Anyway, nice work.
Nice work, I wish I had taken an easier route.

1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jakob said:
I have a couple questions about doing this to my crankset...
1. Anyone know if LX Hollowtechs are painted or anodized?
2. Anyone know how to get the spider off a set of LX cranks?

I want mine high polish to match my ENO!
I am about 95% sure that you can't remove the spider on an LX, but I left a 5% fudge in case I am wrong.

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
Woah! That bike looks fantastic. Saddle a little too minimalistic for my backside, but for looks it can't be beat. I think the crank finish is perfect for your bike. That's a pretty spiffy chain you're running - what izzit?

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Dangeruss said:
Woah! That bike looks fantastic. Saddle a little too minimalistic for my backside, but for looks it can't be beat. I think the crank finish is perfect for your bike. That's a pretty spiffy chain you're running - what izzit?
Agreed :thumbsup: That bike looks so perfect, it just flows.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.