Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on what to use to get the spots that develop on the polished Spider frames after a while from sweat, mud, rain etc. I have tried blue magic and it helps a little. Maybe I need to give it some more muscle and/or time?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thats the problem with polished aluminum. Looks like crap after a while. Clear coating it is the easiest way to keep the shine. I think you'll need metal polishing compund and a lot of work to keep it looking new.

·
Registered
286 Posts
spots on frame

There is a polish called" never dull" it is a wadding polish. You can find it in automotive stores,hardware,maybe even Home depot. It works pretty well. Its used to polish aluminum wheels. Hope that helps.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
majed said:
Anyone have any thoughts on what to use to get the spots that develop on the polished Spider frames after a while from sweat, mud, rain etc. I have tried blue magic and it helps a little. Maybe I need to give it some more muscle and/or time?
I have a Tracer. It came as "ball burnished", not smooth as polished frames. I took the frame apart and polished it on a wheel and polished out the rough ball burnished surface.Ball burnishing makes the surface harder and makes it resistant to scratches. After a while aluminum gets dull. If you have either finish, it will dull out. You can buy some liquid polish(metal) at a grocery store. It chemically polishes the surface and removes the "dull" look right away. Scratches can be removed with polishing or rubbing compound (auto paint finish). I touch up my frame with the liquid polish and it looks new again. If I really wanted to take it apart again, I could polish it up like new(it takes about a day) on a polishing wheel and polishing compound. The touch up method works fine. On the comment on clear finishing. I tried clear coat(spray) on a polished fork and it dulled and looked bad after a while(you can't repolish it). I also had a powder coat clear on a frame, and it dulled with no way to repolish it.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Mutha's

There is no overlay coating on the aluminum frames so feel free to polish away. Nevr-Dull works good for quick touch ups but the KING of aluminum polish is Mother's Metal Polish available at any automotive store. Ask any metal worker - it RULES!

Rock and ROLL!

G MAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.