Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who didn't see it on www.bikeportland.org:

Police, victim on lookout for road rage attacker
Posted by Jonathan Maus (Editor) on January 22nd, 2008 at 3:37 pm

“…he jumped out of his truck and ran at me with a baseball bat.”
–Man who was attacked while riding his bike

Yesterday afternoon, while riding their bike in Northwest Portland, a man was threatened with a baseball bat and punched in the face in front of shocked onlookers by an unidentified man driving a royal-blue Hummer H2.

The victim has now posted to Craigslist in an effort to find the attacker and bring him to justice. Here’s a snip from that post:

“Your help is requested in information that helps locate/arrest/prosecute/neuter/vivisect the driver of a new/newer Hummer H2, royal blue, who assaulted a cyclist at 23rd and NW Pettygrove last night.

Yesterday afternoon (4:30ish) a cyclist was run off the street, assaulted, threatened with a softball bat and punched in the face by the driver of a brand-new royal blue Hummer H2. Police were notified by several calls from about a dozen shocked passers by. The driver took off. The truck had no plates.

If you see a new royal blue H2 with no plates and a 5′8″, balding man in his mid-late 30s driving it, that’d be him. Call it in as the driver that assaulted the cyclist at 23rd and Pettygrove last night.”

From an email I received that was forwarded to me from a friend of the victim, the man riding the bike initially passed by the Hummer as it was stopped in the parking lane. “I spit and he thought I spit on his car,” is what the victim wrote. After that, he wrote,

“…he followed me and tried to run me into parked cars… I right turned and evaded him but he caught me on 24th and tried to run me over. I went back down to 23rd where there were people and he jumped out of his truck ran at me with a baseball bat and shoved me over and punched me in the face when I got up. What a fruit loop.”

If you have information regarding this assault, please contact the Portland police at 503-823-3333. Also, tell the call-taker that the information is related to incident number PP0801211346. That will help the call-taker link your information to the original call.

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
Whoa!

As an everyday commuter, I understand why drivers "think" that we spit and or snot rocket on their cars. In the cold wet months, I have a constant mucoid flow. Since the mucus is there for a reason, i.e. to filter out "pollutents", I'm NOT going to swallow it. I expell it into the street into the "space" that I would hope that drivers are giving me for safety. If a driver is going to pull up next to me and express their dissatifaction with my riding, I must first expell the mouth full of mucus from my pie hole before I can say "What?" Unfortunatly, they are looking for a confrontation and seeing a bicyclist spit only gives them a reason to circle around, chase you down and hit you with a baseball bat.

Caz

·
Registered
590 Posts
Apparently, that driver feels like the DMV registration tax and the fuel tax of his obscenely inefficient Hummer single-handedly funds PDOT's roadway projects. I guess he didn't feel like others should be on "his" roads. Who can blame him, eh? <---sarcasm here.

Militant drivers can feel free to swing a baseball bat at me. I simply recommend they don't miss, 'cause I promise I'm not going to be happy about it!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Handgun

Where ya gonna conceal a handgun in Lycra? Not that it's not a good idea, I'm just say'n a 357 don't shrink up in cold weather that's all.

Sparticus said:
Whoa. Can you say "Concealed Handgun License?"

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
jollybeggar said:
Where ya gonna conceal a handgun in Lycra? Not that it's not a good idea, I'm just say'n a 357 don't shrink up in cold weather that's all.
Being from the right coast originally, you rarely heard of such incidents :rolleyes:

Here in TX it's almost easier to obtain a CCL than it is to get a fishing license. A friend and LBS owner I know here was run off the road twice. The second time the P/U driving toothless inbred fool actually backed up trying to run him over after running him into a ditch, then jumped out of his truck with a bat.

The shop owner now carries one of these in his jersey & at 12oz why not?

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,464 Posts
Fat Bob said:
The shop owner now carries one of these in his jersey & at 12oz why not?
That's a good gun. Very lightweight (aluminum frame version; also available in steel), no hammer to catch on clothing during concealed carry, 5 round cylinder plus it's actually fun to shoot. The gun I have is smaller and lighter but stings a bit when I fire it (Kel-tec 380).

Don't usually carry mine much when I ride, but then I don't ride much on the road. Good to have a handy weapon in the vehicle/on person when on remote, solo camping trips & such.

--Sparty

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
jollybeggar said:
Do commuters wear lycra these days?

I think we've just discovered the hip new trend to be unveiled in two weeks at NAHBS. The newest urban bicycle accessory...the handlebar holster. I'm machining a mounting bracket for one of these over the weekend.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Stupid with a bat or stupid with a gun? Hmmm...a better weapon doesn't make a better person. Just a thought.

Brock...

PS: yes, yes I do get the irony in that post.
PPS: it can be (very) fun to think about it, but it's not as easy as you might think/hope it is. It's forever.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Seriously one of my riding buddies has been known to carry his 357 when riding alone in the local woods where cougars are a real threat. I'm sure he'd not hesitate to brandish it in a road rage situation.

I want to point out that not all ******** are jerks, a jerk is just as likely to drive a BMW as a pickup truck, true ******** almost never drive Hummers. It all depends I suppose on whether you are in rural Oregon or San Fransico what your jerk will be driving.

Sparticus said:
That's a good gun. Very lightweight (aluminum frame version; also available in steel), no hammer to catch on clothing during concealed carry, 5 round cylinder plus it's actually fun to shoot. The gun I have is smaller and lighter but stings a bit when I fire it (Kel-tec 380).

Don't usually carry mine much when I ride, but then I don't ride much on the road. Good to have a handy weapon in the vehicle/on person when on remote, solo camping trips & such.

--Sparty

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Nobody...

jollybeggar said:
Seriously one of my riding buddies has been known to carry his 357 when riding alone in the local woods where cougars are a real threat.
...is fast enough to get to their gun and use it before a cougar gets on them, but the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from carrying one is nice I suppose. Cats are stalkers and tend to jump on the backs of prey. They rarely stand in the middle of the trail, at high noon, and meow out some grissle-voiced cool statement about dy'in aint much of a livin'.

Brock...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Chases cougar with bike

This same buddy of mine is riding his MTB down the trail one day and sees a cougar about fifty yards ahead just standing in the trail, so he takes off and chases the cougar down the hill. He musta chased the cougar a couple hundred yard right down the middle of the trail before the cougar dodges in to the bush, I swear he scared the poor cougar to death and we've not seen not seen that cougar since. Who needs a gun when you got Dan.

ImaKlyde said:
...is fast enough to get to their gun and use it before a cougar gets on them, but the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from carrying one is nice I suppose. Cats are stalkers and tend to jump on the backs of prey. They rarely stand in the middle of the trail, at high noon, and meow out some grissle-voiced cool statement about dy'in aint much of a livin'.

Brock...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Don't forget...

stupid with a bike. I seen some cyclist do stuff that even irritates my mellow minded self.

ImaKlyde said:
Stupid with a bat or stupid with a gun? Hmmm...a better weapon doesn't make a better person. Just a thought.

Brock...

PS: yes, yes I do get the irony in that post.
PPS: it can be (very) fun to think about it, but it's not as easy as you might think/hope it is. It's forever.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
A discussion of handguns on a the singlespeed board speaks volumes about why I seldom ride on the road any more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
shooting snub nose pistols are not fun lol, got alot of kick because of short barrel, and why carry a gun when you ride, just carry a concealed knife, if you have any ability, you can screw them up before they get you.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Scandium & Titanium

Sparticus said:

--Sparty
His is the Scandium body with the Titanium cylinder. Plus he's got the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. Very impressive and intimidating IMO. Do you have a pic of your .380? How many rounds does it hold?

DirtMO*SHette said:
shooting snub nose pistols are not fun lol, got alot of kick because of short barrel, and why carry a gun when you ride, just carry a concealed knife, if you have any ability, you can screw them up before they get you.
I think the dude that came at him with the bat really got in his head. Plus this is TX, shoot first ask ?'s later.

Me? I'm a lover not a fighter. My wife on the other hand......:eek:ut:

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
It is a revolution

Us cyclist are being victimized by Hummers. When I lived in North Dakota a bodybuilder I knew a guy who got hassled by a couple guys in a truck on a road ride. This rider was a monster on roids ;) Anyway, they stopped at a stop sign and they were hassling him; he got off his bike and said he open hand slapped the guy really hard through his window. He said the guy cried like a baby. He then said, "I have finished an engineering degree, got married, had a kid, and won an upper midwest bodybuilding championship, but I have never in my life had so much satisfaction from something I have done. The guy drove away and didn't say a word. We laughed like a bunch of jackals as he told the story. Anyone who drives a Hummer might have some issues with his manhood if you know what I mean...

Jaybo

1 - 20 of 33 Posts