Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw something really cool today, about 30 bicycle police on mountain bikes out at McDowell Competitive loops. I'm not sure how much they rode, but I heard them talking about the technical segment. Apparently they were training, and they did so in big style. All of their bikes were brought out by one guy in a U-haul while the riders where shuttled out in 2 15-passenger vans. Didn't get the chance to see any of them in action, but I'm sure they could pedal a ton.

This was one of the few times I didn't have a care when I left my vehicle in the parking lot. ;)

An odd thing occured when I saw them. There was a period for about 3 seconds when I thought about a career change...hmm...being on the clock while mountain biking. Then I remembered the sad truth...Cut in pay! :eek: No thanks!

Anyways it was nice to see these men/women having fun while training to protect us. :)

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
A very good friend of mine is a son of a mountain biking cop, so I've gotten to see their training up-close and talk to some of the folks who do it. They also go down to the Desert Classic twice a year.

Turns out, they are TERRIBLE mountain bikers unless they already ride as a hobby. Cops' fitness is not bike-specific and their handling is generally godawful. Mostly they're sent to the desert to train so they're more comfortable riding their bikes off curbs and stuff -- more urban obstacles, because that's where they generally use their bikes.

Fire department sometimes parks a big engine @ Pima Canyon and unloads a dozen bikes from the roof as well.

p.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
did you get ticket for passing ?

Umbrous said:
Saw something really cool today, about 30 bicycle police on mountain bikes out at McDowell Competitive loops. I'm not sure how much they rode, but I heard them talking about the technical segment. Apparently they were training, and they did so in big style. All of their bikes were brought out by one guy in a U-haul while the riders where shuttled out in 2 15-passenger vans. Didn't get the chance to see any of them in action, but I'm sure they could pedal a ton.

This was one of the few times I didn't have a care when I left my vehicle in the parking lot. ;)

An odd thing occured when I saw them. There was a period for about 3 seconds when I thought about a career change...hmm...being on the clock while mountain biking. Then I remembered the sad truth...Cut in pay! :eek: No thanks!

Anyways it was nice to see these men/women having fun while training to protect us. :)
hey umbrous, I hope you didn't get a ticket for passing those cops on the single track.

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No tickets

Picard said:
hey umbrous, I hope you didn't get a ticket for passing those cops on the single track.
It's funny you say that, because I passed their U-haul on the way to the park, and at quite a high rate of speed I must say. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
About 8-10 years ago I used to see a particular sargeant out with 2-3 others riding the west end of T100. I talked to the sarge quite a bit while he waited for the others to catch up. He rode a lot for fun and brought others out for fun, and of course training. He said it was the fastest way for his recruits to get fit and learn bike handling. After a while I did not see him anymore, thought maybe he chose other trails to ride, for variety. For the most part their bikes were pretty crummy.

I liked seeing them out there. I saw a lot of firemen out there, too.

Rita

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Oh great. I can see it now: there I am having a happy little safety meeting and a 5-O convention rolls up.:rolleyes:

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Paul B said:
DC and T100 are probably not the places for that sort of thing. Of course the upper National's had so many meetings you'd think they'd installed hand rails and pavement on the Waterfall.

p.
rotfl

Yes, if you need courage enhancement on DC and T100 you deserve the bust by the MTB cops. You know, you rated the dogability of rides in your book - you could have rated the safety meeting factor as well - sheesh.

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Santa Cruz Cops!!

I've seen a picture of it, but I don't know first hand as I live in Ontario, Canada. But, I believe that the COPS in Santa Cruz California ride Santa Cruz Hecklers! That's a pretty sweet ride for a cop. Can you imagine being the bad guy and running along with a purse when out of nowhere a cops drops a big stair gap and busts your criminal ass!!! Hahaha. I love it.

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
giverpig said:
But, I believe that the COPS in Santa Cruz California ride Santa Cruz Hecklers! That's a pretty sweet ride for a cop.
I believe out of the few bikes I saw that said "Police" on it was the Specialized brand. Plain black with Silver or White lettering. Speaking of Specialized, it's nice to see that they changed their website. The gay looking dudes in the baby blue spandex had to go. :D

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
360 Adventures said:
Don't worry, you could probably out-ride them - especially with the "flow" on!
There's a big banner in Old Town welcoming the IPMBA - International Police Mountain Bikers Association - convention.

Time to schedule a critical mass in Scottsdale I guess ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.