Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but I am more than a little besotted by it!

Bicycle part Line Steel Composite material Metal

https://polebicycles.com/machine/

I really like the ideas behind it, I have been interested in their geometry on their other bikes for a while but this bring things pretty next level and is a completely new way of looking at things. I am definitely not adverse to carbon bikes, I have a couple, but I am a sucker for CNC work when it is done well!

I reckon this thing would be an absolute beast with 3.0 tyres on, the ultimate monster truck! Not that I've thought too much about this over the past weekend!! :D

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
yeah, that thing is redonk. probably the only thing coming out right now that could pursued me to hang up my Mega.

I can't wait for production models to hit the press and give me reviews to drool over.

all i have to add is "do want" and "probably cannot afford".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah, that Machine has me drooling too. I have a Pole 158 on pre-order, and while I'm tempted to change my order, it would cost me $1400 get the Machine, and I just can't rationalize that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I want one. I wish they made it in a 160 fork so I can buy the frameset and just transfer everything over from my Mega 290.

·
Just some guy
168 Posts
It is supremely beautiful. Makes me want to move to a resort town to justify a purchase of one.

I am curious to see how well the bonded tubes hold up to real world abuse.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
I am curious to see how well the bonded tubes hold up to real world abuse.
I'm sure its totally bomber. designing that kind of stuff is fairly well understood and i'm sure they've evaluated materials and designed for appropriate substrate contact surfaces and material thicknesses. Given how much machine work must go into something like this, designing for the adhesive interfaces would be a minor engineering task.

I see plenty of small machine bolts holding the halves together. I'm willing to bet these were added just to keep the parts consistently clamped and aligned while the adhesives cure and probably aren't needed to take any load in the final product.

Structural adhesives, depending on type, can take several weeks to cure, so its much more practical to add a couple more machine steps and some fasteners than it is to fixture the parts and clamp it for most of a month.

I think this thing is freekin brilliant. anybody know what the weight came out at? If this beast is 30 pounds or less it will literally be the ultimate bike.

FYI: I deal with some structural adhesives in my line work. they work pretty good.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure this thing will be overkill but I'm trying to make it happen right now!! :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
i am sure this bike is cool but when i read Pole Machine i just think of a really dedicated stripper. like one that has been out there for like 15 songs or something

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am super close to pulling the trigger on one of these! Curious if there are owners of Pole Evolinks out there who could give their opinion if this bike is a true quiver killer and would upgrade to a Machine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi pta - congrats on your Evolink! May I ask what sort of trails you ride on typically? I’m seriously considering beteeen a Machine or an Evolink 140

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger as well. The more I study the kinematics, listen to the real world reviews of the Evolink, and drool over the simple beauty of the lines of the bike I can't see going any other direction.

Couple of things that I'm trying to get answered before hitting the 'buy' button on the frame set.

1) Warranty - Pole says 'lifetime'. However sitting here in the southern rockies...If I crack a swing arm for example, I'm concerned with the down-time. Weeks? Months?

2) Untested long term durability - Sure this is first gen radical stuff. I guess there's known inherent risk, but $3300 is a chunk for me. Evil bikes damn near went tits up on their first gen breakages. They pulled through though and all is well.

Other than that I honestly can't see why not. I'm a sucker for C&C bling, and if it climbs and descends half as well as the Evolink riders say it does, then win!

·
Pos rep makes me sad
292 Posts
I heard that they're in the process of creating a "how it's made" sort of video regarding this.

Interesting how they chose this shaping, when they could've chose pretty much any shape they wanted. The offset and sideways turned shock... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi pta - congrats on your Evolink! May I ask what sort of trails you ride on typically? I’m seriously considering beteeen a Machine or an Evolink 140
My riding is mainly trail riding. Occasionally I visit bike parks too. I think the mashine would be bit overkill for my riding. I think Evolink is better all purpose bike

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is anyone concerned about protecting the shock from rear wheel debris?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Their Evolink bikes actually have a nice little fender to protect the shock but it doesn’t look like the asymmetric swingarm design lends itself to this. Could be a big problem in the climate my neck of the woods tends to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Their warranty is not a crash replace warranty. As I have read it it is a lifetime warranty for structural defects only. I would ask them directly

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Jamie
I guess we must have similar tastes as I was looking at an an evo link 140 and now got my eye on one of these too!
If you want to try the radical geometry I have one of the latest mojo geometrons in the garage you are welcome to have a play on. Not as poppy and playful as the switchblade but super fast and insanely capable!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts