Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips getting this set up. No luck. According to Device Manager all is cool but when I try to link from the Polar menu I get the "Cannot open communication port" dialog box. Fairly certian I have done all the little things ie proximity, interference etc.Their trouble shooting sucks. :mad:

Ideas.? I should be out riding dammit. Its an S725.

·
Believer in Darwin
274 Posts
go to polar.com and look for the downloads page. you probably need to update your drivers in order for your watch to be able to be read by the dongle. i bashed my head a couple of hours when i got mine.
that should do the trick
glty
paz afuera
RetroS said:
Any tips getting this set up. No luck. According to Device Manager all is cool but when I try to link from the Polar menu I get the "Cannot open communication port" dialog box. Fairly certian I have done all the little things ie proximity, interference etc.Their trouble shooting sucks. :mad:

Ideas.? I should be out riding dammit. Its an S725.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did you get it to work yet?

If not, how old is the IR interface? Is it USB? Did you recently get a new computer? When I got a new computer last year, my IR interface wouldn't work anymore. I had to send it back to Polar to exchange it for a new one. Apparently there was some kind of change with Windows XP and the motherboard or something like that. Good luck dealing with Polar though, they have the ABSOLUTE WORST customer service of any company dealing the the bike industry I've ever seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same problem...
nothing seems to work...downloaded the drivers, device manager is all cool too...
The watch seems to connect then the % on the watch rises to 100%, but nothing shows up on the comp or in the software...
Wrote to polar 4 days ago...still nothing...

Everthing is new, the watch and he usb irda. The comp, though, is 2 years old

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure what the case is there. Two things I found in dealing with Polar though when you want an answer are either call them and wait on hold for up to 45min or more to actually talk to someone or go to the www.polar.fi webpage and submit a question to the general help desk or whatever they call it. Yeah, it's sad but I've gotten faster responses from the Polar parent company in Finland than the US Polar Electro in NY.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Do you guys have the polar protrainer 5 software or the PPP one?

·
Believer in Darwin
274 Posts
What you are describing to me sounds like the watch battery it low. I bought mine used, and it would show the files, but it wouldn't dl them.
IF you watch isn't new, then get another battery, its like $10. That should do the trick. My previous battery lasted almost 2 years.
glty
Reset said:
nothing seems to work...downloaded the drivers, device manager is all cool too...
The watch seems to connect then the % on the watch rises to 100%, but nothing shows up on the comp or in the software...

Everthing is new, the watch and he usb irda. The comp, though, is 2 years old

·
Registered
59 Posts
papisimo11 said:
What you are describing to me sounds like the watch battery it low. I bought mine used, and it would show the files, but it wouldn't dl them.
IF you watch isn't new, then get another battery, its like $10. That should do the trick. My previous battery lasted almost 2 years.
glty
Reset said:

Everthing is new, the watch and the usb irda. The comp, though, is 2 years old
:D ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still no luck here. Thanks for the help. Will try the battery in the monitor. New IR unit year old s725. Just really started using it as a training tool however.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, same problem here. I have the S725 as well and it's brand new. I have a new computer also. All I have to do (after I loaded the software) is open the Polar link, clink "connect to Ploar Wrist Unit", set my moniter to Connect, and the exercise data gets loaded. The only problem is that I have to do it about 4 times before it works!!! It's a pain in the ass but I can live with it.

I'll stay posted to see if anyone knows the trick to fix it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did the search on RBR...Problems were more related to the first release of USB IR which wasn't compatible with XP...Go figure!

It keeps saying "cannot open communication port"

Still no answer from polar...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finally It worked! But don't ask me why, really!
I just erase everything besides the software, reinstalled everthing, update the software and it worked.
The problem is...it was probably the 6th time I was doing those steps. Don't think I've done anything different. I've tried for hours and it finally worked..also, never received any words from Polar.
I just hope it will work again next time.
For those who can't get it to work, erase, reinstall, update and try the device everystep of the way...
I know it sounds stupid but...at least it worked for me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.