Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just started using Training Peaks and am looking to buy a new HR monitor/cycling computer that will allow me to download to Training Peaks (preferably directly) and was wondering on the pros and cons of the two (besides saving $50 with the 720i).

I'm mostly looking at these two options because if I'm going to drop that much money I want a single device that will work with my road and mountain bike (26") both on the road/trail and in the trainer, but am open to other options that will fit these criteria.

Thanks

Mike

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
MrXC, I'm not sure what you are wanting to compare to the 720i. I am using the s-725 with Training Peaks and I have absolutely no problem. Everything works perfect.

I'm not sure where you are planning on buying your heart rate monitor but be sure to check out Jomashop. They have the Polar S-725 for $231. For some reason they actually have the 725 cheaper than they have the 720i. I purchased mine from them and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
LowCel said:
MrXC, I'm not sure what you are wanting to compare to the 720i. I am using the s-725 with Training Peaks and I have absolutely no problem. Everything works perfect.

I'm not sure where you are planning on buying your heart rate monitor but be sure to check out Jomashop. They have the Polar S-725 for $231. For some reason they actually have the 725 cheaper than they have the 720i. I purchased mine from them and I am very happy with it.
Hey LowCel, not to sound to dumb but I've a few questions on the S725. I have one, but am not sure how to set up the HR ranges so that they actually work and as for using the intervals I haven't even begun to start thinking about trying to setup or use those yet. Any simple advice on setting up the HR zones so you actually get info in each one? I seem to be only able to get info in the 1st HR zone I set (set at 60-70% of MAX HR) and then in the summary.

·
Registered
359 Posts
MrXC said:
Hi all,

I just started using Training Peaks and am looking to buy a new HR monitor/cycling computer that will allow me to download to Training Peaks (preferably directly) and was wondering on the pros and cons of the two (besides saving $50 with the 720i).

I'm mostly looking at these two options because if I'm going to drop that much money I want a single device that will work with my road and mountain bike (26") both on the road/trail and in the trainer, but am open to other options that will fit these criteria.

Thanks

Mike
I just picked up the Garmin Forerunner 301. GPS based HR, limited navigation, compatible w/ training peaks, logs onto your computer and has pre programed workouts you set intensity and time on the computer then upload by date to the HRM. Not to mention, no changing codes, etc. for wheel size etc. Just a thought...

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
LyNx said:
Hey LowCel, not to sound to dumb but I've a few questions on the S725. I have one, but am not sure how to set up the HR ranges so that they actually work and as for using the intervals I haven't even begun to start thinking about trying to setup or use those yet. Any simple advice on setting up the HR zones so you actually get info in each one? I seem to be only able to get info in the 1st HR zone I set (set at 60-70% of MAX HR) and then in the summary.
Well I have my heart rate zones set on my monitor but I'm not sure how to get the most out of them. I have my heart rate zones taped to the stem of my road bike so that I'll know what I need to shoot for. Once I download the information I get to see how much time I spent in each zone though. Other than that I just upload all of my workouts to Training Peaks and let me coach tell me what I need to work on. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to next week though. I will finally be able to tell how much wattage I put out on a regular basis. My PowerTap SL is ordered and should be shipping in a few days. :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
LowCel said:
Well I have my heart rate zones set on my monitor but I'm not sure how to get the most out of them. I have my heart rate zones taped to the stem of my road bike so that I'll know what I need to shoot for. Once I download the information I get to see how much time I spent in each zone though. Other than that I just upload all of my workouts to Training Peaks and let me coach tell me what I need to work on. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to next week though. I will finally be able to tell how much wattage I put out on a regular basis. My PowerTap SL is ordered and should be shipping in a few days. :D
Sweet thing that powertap, but a bit too expensive for me I am looking at getting the cadence sensor though. Prob is I don't seem to get anything but a reading in the lowest zone and the Summary Limits. Then the limits show up withing the graph, but don't get time spent in each zone, only for the summary limits which I have set between 139-169. Wish I could find someone who really knows how to use this thing to it's full potential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts