Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Polar 720, to which I just added the cadence sensor. However, despite the claimed range of 60-80cm (2ft to 2ft 8 inches) I can't get a reading unless I'm within about 15 inches of the sensor. I found a trick on Polar's website that increases the sensors range by switching a jumper, but still didn't increase the range enough.

So now it looks like my options are:
1. Put the 720 in the middle of my top tube, which just seems wrong to me.
2. No cadence
3. Some other miracle.

Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did you get enough range to actually mount your Polar on your wrist/handlebar? I've got an email into Polar, maybe my unit just isn't up to par.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
725i cadence sensor works for me

Jdub said:
Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did you get enough range to actually mount your Polar on your wrist/handlebar? I've got an email into Polar, maybe my unit just isn't up to par.
I run the cadence sensor and it seems to work just fine. I can't remember if I changed the jumpers, but I don't think so, I only did that on the speed sensor because I mounted it on the rear wheel. I have only used it in the garage, with the main computer mounted on the handle bar mount.. It should work fine. Are you perhaps trying it under power lines or something similar? Good luck!
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nickv said:
I run the cadence sensor and it seems to work just fine. I can't remember if I changed the jumpers, but I don't think so, I only did that on the speed sensor because I mounted it on the rear wheel. I have only used it in the garage, with the main computer mounted on the handle bar mount.. It should work fine. Are you perhaps trying it under power lines or something similar? Good luck!
No, no power lines and I didn't eat any paint chips as a kid either... :)

Maybe mine is a bunk unit. I'm just frustrated that the manual says range of over 2ft in standard mode and I can't even get 2ft in the secret extended mode.

I'm waiting to hear back from Polar to see what they think about the range problems. Cadence is a nice to have, but I guess I can just ditch it if it doesn't work right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Jdub said:
I'm waiting to hear back from Polar to see what they think about the range problems. Cadence is a nice to have, but I guess I can just ditch it if it doesn't work right.
Cadence is really cool on the trainer. Not sure how much use it would be out in the real world. Especially on a Mountain Bike. I agree that it sounds like maybe your transmitter is defective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I have both a 720 and a 625 and on both receivers my cadence sensor works just fine. It's 29 inches away from the receivers and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. They are not even in line to each other, my receiver being on the right side of my handlebar, while my cadence sensor is on the left side of my seat tube.

I regret to say that your unit came faulty. Can you use the warranty service?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Jdub said:
I've got a Polar 720, to which I just added the cadence sensor. However, despite the claimed range of 60-80cm (2ft to 2ft 8 inches) I can't get a reading unless I'm within about 15 inches of the sensor. I found a trick on Polar's website that increases the sensors range by switching a jumper, but still didn't increase the range enough.

So now it looks like my options are:
1. Put the 720 in the middle of my top tube, which just seems wrong to me.
2. No cadence
3. Some other miracle.

Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did you get enough range to actually mount your Polar on your wrist/handlebar? I've got an email into Polar, maybe my unit just isn't up to par.
Probably just a weak battery. Who knows how long it sat in inventory before you got it. Still not your fault. Should be recitified by Polar.

Brian
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dodo said:
Probably just a weak battery. Who knows how long it sat in inventory before you got it. Still not your fault. Should be recitified by Polar.

Brian
Actually this was my first thought. I went and bought a brand new Energizer replacement battery, but still it didn't work.

I got sporadic cadence readings yesterday on my ride with the Polar on my wrist, but somewhere on the ride I busted off the magnet from my crank thus ending my cadence. Unfortunately this is the 2nd magnet I've busted off. I'm beginning to think cadence just isn't a mountain bike thing.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top