Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, I work at a shop tht carries Polar. Everyone that I have talked to said the biggest tool you can have/use in training for raceing is a Polar. More important than an XO rd, xtr crank, or fox 100 X. Polar. I am looking at 3 models, obviously in the header. Here's my dilemma: I'm afraid that if I buy the cheaper one (F6), not that anything is wrong with it, but I might want to upgrade in the future and having to buy a second hrm; I don't want to buy two. But, if I buy the more expensive one (725x), I won't have to worry about upgrading, plus it will have all the functions like altitude, distance, blah blah like a cycling comp. to boot. But, it's damn expensive! More than twice the amount of the last. I can't really afford that right now. And the cs200cad is nice, plus it has cadence, but, I'm scared about riding and crashing, and destroying the moniter head. Plus, I really like the watch better. Any suggestions? Polar only, please. I trust their company and their product, and choose to go with no-one else!

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
I would save for the 725. Ive bought too many computers and HRM's only to wih I had just bought the 725 to begin with. Has all the features you need and its downloadable info. I assume you get a discount. I bought on the 20% off at Performance, and with the 10% back I saved 30percent. I had thought about the Garmin 305 but i dont like having to recharge all the time. Besides many of the places we ride dont get a good signal due to the big redwood tree's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like my 725...
pretty new, didn't use it to its max yet though

check jomashop.com... I had it at 231$.... pretty cheap...
also, call ahead to make sure they have it in stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 720I and all of the functions are great.The only complaint I have about mine is that it almost always stops recording on long rides.It kinda sucks looking down and realizing its been off for who knows how long.I actually have 2 of them and they both do the same things all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Generally I really like my 725.
My main gripe is that my Nite Rider light (rage) interferes with the heart rate and speed wireless pick up. However, I do seem to get less to no intereference if the light is in its middle power-output. Power lines seem to do the same.

G

·
I have the CS200cad on my road bike now for about a month. It mounts on the handlebar stem, which I like better than looking at my wrist. I don't really care about cadence when I mtb. I only wanted the cadence for training drills which I do on the roadie. Only complaint is that Powerlines seem to interfere with it, a problem I did not have with my $29 Sports Instruments wrist HRM.

If you buy a wrist model, Polar makes a generic wrist watch mounting bracket that will let you mount any wrist HRM to your handlebars. This is what I do on my MTB.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have the Polar 710 for 5 years now ( th e710 is the old version). I love it and have it set up on all 3 of my bikes. I really like the training calendar, it's great to just download and let it add up my hour , miles etc.
I'm sure you can get a great deal on a used one. I have a teammate who has a 710 and the power meeter for sale VERY CHEAP. PM me if you want it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.