Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Moab and I have to say, Poison Spider was not my favorite trail. The sand (energy drainer!), jeep trail, getting lost, all made for a kind of disappointing ride.

Don't get me wrong, there were some nice technical sections up and down, but I would have much rather spend the day riding something else.

Anyone agree?
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
chuky said:
Wasn't there a Smoke and Dart tire combo? I vaguely recall running something along those lines back on an old Schwinn hardtail in the '90's. I also vaguely recall not liking one of the tires and swapping it out for an Onza something or other.

Those were the days...back when everyone clammored to ride Poison Spider.
 

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Wasn't there a Smoke and Dart tire combo? I vaguely recall running something along those lines back on an old Schwinn hardtail in the '90's. I also vaguely recall not liking one of the tires and swapping it out for an Onza something or other.

Those were the days...back when everyone clammored to ride Poison Spider.
It's quite possible that with the demise of the Onza Porcupine and Tioga Psycho gumwall that trail was no longer any fun to ride. I believe I was palping Continental Cross Countries the first time I rode there and the joy was already gone.
 

·
user-created
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
I love Poison Spider.... in the winter. Try it when the sand is firm and dusted with snow and you will have a totally different impression.
 

·
Bored Carp
Joined
·
1,596 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Wasn't there a Smoke and Dart tire combo? I vaguely recall running something along those lines back on an old Schwinn hardtail in the '90's. I also vaguely recall not liking one of the tires and swapping it out for an Onza something or other.

Those were the days...back when everyone clammored to ride Poison Spider.
I rode gum colored Tioga Psychos the first time I got part way up Poison Spider and realized what a stupid trail it was.
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Jim Jones rode Poison Spider.

JMH said:
It's quite possible that with the demise of the Onza Porcupine and Tioga Psycho gumwall that trail was no longer any fun to ride. I believe I was palping Continental Cross Countries the first time I rode there and the joy was already gone.
That's definitely a possibility.

I mean considering I rode that trail primarily on a bike spec'd with a Kore red anodized seat post and matching, narrow flat bars and bar ends, 8 speed XT with a SUPER plush Judy XC, not to mention a blue saddle sock (cover) it would seem rediculous to try and emmulate that experience on a modern bike. It's just not going to happen.

Perhaps if I could find another blue saddle sock or a Hite Rite I would give it a go again, but it would probably just be a waste of time.

Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Poison Spider

nnhubbard said:
I just got back from Moab and I have to say, Poison Spider was not my favorite trail. The sand (energy drainer!), jeep trail, getting lost, all made for a kind of disappointing ride.

Don't get me wrong, there were some nice technical sections up and down, but I would have much rather spend the day riding something else.

Anyone agree?
I agree to some extent. We did a loop consisting of P.S. to Portal, then down Portal to a paved road, back to our vehicle. I recall the first third of the ride being kind of sucky for the reason's you mentioned, but the last 2/3 being fantastic. I enjoyed the
slickrock at the topic of the climb, then the bomb down portal was the bomb !

I didn't run them at the time, but I think a great tire choice for Moab would be the Specialized Chunder Control 2.30 tubless. I run them in AZ. and they hold up well, stick like glue and are wide enough that they do a decent job in sand.
 

·
user-created
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
The Portal is also better with snow. OK maybe not better, but very cool nonetheless. First tracks up there when no one has so much as hiked it.... priceless.

Totally gonna need your Velociraptors for that sheeet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Poison Spider is the worst. trail. ever.

I think the only reason anyone rides it is that there's a shop named after it. Just awful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I think Poison Spider is a good trail for Moab. You're going to find sand and portions of hike on most trails down there with not a lot of single track. After doing Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, and the La Sals, I just hope for good views and a good workout from the other trails that I check off in Moab. Try the "Sovereign" trail system. There's quite a bit of single track. It's kinda a mix of Gooseberry and Blue Diamond in Vegas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
If you ride the main route it sucks...stay on the rock...some of the best stuff in Moab is back there. Thing with Moab is you have to put your time in there and be willing to explore and route find a bit, then you will see what the real Moab riding is about.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top