Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help...I'm in slight panic mode...what in the world could be out on the side of some of our trails that would give a rash resembling poison ivy?? The only recent trail rides where I've encountered brushy situations were last Wed at T100 and last Fri at SoMo. Dang it! These dang itchy little bumps! Aaarrggghhh! Thoughts, anyone?

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
castaway222 said:
I need your help...I'm in slight panic mode...what in the world could be out on the side of some of our trails that would give a rash resembling poison ivy?? The only recent trail rides where I've encountered brushy situations were last Wed at T100 and last Fri at SoMo. Dang it! These dang itchy little bumps! Aaarrggghhh! Thoughts, anyone?
Riding too close to ST will do it - yup you've been infected with fiberglasssarcasticus

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
castaway222 said:
Are you itchy now? Let's compare rashes tonight, and see if they match up. Mine is due to a barrel cactus. Other than that, I really have no idea.

·
Registered
527 Posts
castaway222 said:
Penicillin dude......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just about any plant species could cause an allergic reaction/dermatitis if you're susceptible. You should put some hydrocortisone on the rash. Benadryl can help also, but it might make you sleepy. Also, try to avoid further exposure if you can...

castaway222 said:

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
got the same problem

castaway222 said:
I have the same problem. I don't think that it is anything like poison oak/ivy. Since all the rain that we have had, I have sported a rash for 3-4 days after every ride. I think that it is just the blooms in the desert and the overgrowth on the trails, causing a skin allergy.
As peanuthead said, hydrocortisone and benadryl.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Evil Con-fecal said:
I have the same problem. I don't think that it is anything like poison oak/ivy. Since all the rain that we have had, I have sported a rash for 3-4 days after every ride. I think that it is just the blooms in the desert and the overgrowth on the trails, causing a skin allergy.
As peanuthead said, hydrocortisone and benadryl.
I think that anything you run into or brush against in the desert causes irritation. I've been wearing shin guards and they really keep all the recent desert growth off your legs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the tips...however, it is growing larger by the hour and more unbearable. usually, when i get contact dermatitis like this (primarily from poison ivy back east) it does not heal up and only gets worse. i'm going to the dr. today...i just want a bottle of prednisone...

btw, the benadryl creme gave me a rash the last time i used it...i know, that doesn't make sense, but the ER confirmed it when i went in there with a leg swelled up the size of an elephant...and, hydrocortisone has only made this rash more red and irritated.

anyway, thanks again...

·
Registered
527 Posts
castaway222 said:
thanks for all the tips...however, it is growing larger by the hour and more unbearable. usually, when i get contact dermatitis like this (primarily from poison ivy back east) it does not heal up and only gets worse. i'm going to the dr. today...i just want a bottle of prednisone...

btw, the benadryl creme gave me a rash the last time i used it...i know, that doesn't make sense, but the ER confirmed it when i went in there with a leg swelled up the size of an elephant...and, hydrocortisone has only made this rash more red and irritated.

anyway, thanks again...
sorry, dudette..

Where is the rash at? I had a buddy back home that got a rash from his helmet. It was pretty old and he left it in the garage when he didn't use it, took a month er so to figure it out...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ttocs said:
sorry, dudette..

Where is the rash at? I had a buddy back home that got a rash from his helmet. It was pretty old and he left it in the garage when he didn't use it, took a month er so to figure it out...
is on the front/sides of my legs, below the knee...obvious brush marks...

i just wants the 'roids to get rid of it...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree - you should see your doctor. Sounds like you may need oral steroids (prednisone) or stronger topical steroids...

castaway222 said:

anyway, thanks again...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
peanuthead said:
I agree - you should see your doctor. Sounds like you may need oral steroids (prednisone) or stronger topical steroids...
yeah, even though prednisone is one of the worst things a person could take, it's the only things that dries up any type of plant-based skin irritation that i've ever gotten...

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Poison Oak....

Looks like you may have hit some Poison Oak when from one of your recent trips to California. I have few riding buddies that live out there and thay have said the at poison oak is really bad this year due to all the rains, so I bet that is want you have.

castaway222 said:
is on the front/sides of my legs, below the knee...obvious brush marks...

i just wants the 'roids to get rid of it...

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
That is the one thing I DON'T miss!

Epicrider said:
Looks like you may have hit some Poison Oak when from one of your recent trips to California. I have few riding buddies that live out there and thay have said the at poison oak is really bad this year due to all the rains, so I bet that is want you have.
I used to cake my arms and legs with IvyBlock and still get it. Takes weeks to clear and it itches bad...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.