Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean holy ****. It is On the trails now. And it’s 90 degrees.

Been riding a lot and not completely covered up so it’s on my knees, wrist and belly.

I’ll be fine hopefully with my steroids

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
It’s all over, and lining parts of every trail, if not sticking out across them.

My legs look like I swam through jellyfish tentacles. Scratch Lines of blisters.

I live by the rule - shower within 2 hours of riding, but that’s sometimes not soon enough. I keep a bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the shower and scrub my legs with it.

It’s Prednisone and antibiotic season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all over, and lining parts of every trail, if not sticking out across them.

My legs look like I swam through jellyfish tentacles. Scratch Lines of blisters.

I live by the rule - shower within 2 hours of riding, but that's sometimes not soon enough. I keep a bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the shower and scrub my legs with it.

It's Prednisone and antibiotic season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's sucks is I skipped my washing routine for one day out of eleven. One day!!!

I know many others are suffering out there. It's almost impossible to ride singletrack right now without contact

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fort Ord is covered with the devil weed. I ride covered head to toe and wash up the second I'm back at the car. Looks a little goofy, but the only other option would be hanging up the bike for the next 6 months.

There were some volunteers out clearing brush, including one guy with a weed wacker plowing through the PO. <shudder>. Turned around and went the other way. Can imagine inhaling that much of the oil.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Got my first taste of poison oak rash this year. A big, blistery, itchy-as-hell patch on the inside of each calf. No fun at all! I think I stepped in some PO after my bike and I had a disagreement. Then, I ended up re-contaminating because I had pulled my knee guards down over the contaminated areas and reused them without washing thoroughly.

Best recommendation I've heard is to keep a couple rags soaked with rubbing alcohol in a ziplock in your car/pack and rub down with those right after riding.

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
For some reason, I’m not reacting to the stuff this year. I know I haven’t been consistent about washing. Yay, me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no help with prevention, as it seems like I've managed to catch it bad every time I've ridden MTB this spring, but a really effective itch remedy was shared with me last year.

Basically, get your shower going as hot as you can possibly stand it for 3-5 seconds at a time, and scorch that sucker. Pretty much 100% relieves all itching for 8-10 hours at a time.

With the poison oak I got from Wilder this year I don't know how I would have survived without it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
If every rider carried a spray bottle of roundup...

Reactions: 121GW

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
I’ve been nursing spots of poison oak on my face and scalp for the past couple of weeks. I know exactly how I got it there: riding through puddles/rain in Saratoga Gap; the upsplash apparently got into the vents of my helmet and dripped down my face. I’ve since washed the inside of my helmet as best I could.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,456 Posts
If every rider carried a spray bottle of roundup...
....then we would all be millionaires after class action suit . Seriously though, I had it bad 2 weeks ago. Scrubbed Urushoil off legs, only to get on lower back, Doh! Didnt scrub back. Finally did "Decon Level 5", washed Camelback, Bike travel bag, knee pads twice, scrubbed shoes, and helmet, finally soaped and scrubbed tires. Bike clothes went from washing machine back into laundry basket. It doesnt itch me too much, been getting for 40 yrs, but I think it weakens my body like a cold, and I become a lame-O for a few days. Had not had it bad for a few years, now a super bloom.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I avoid PO exposure here in the Southland, but we do have our share. It's often the greenest , or the only green in many places. I'm quite lucky that I have never reacted in 65 years here, I suppose.

hoodie, that really IS "Decon5"!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sorry, minor pet peeve: Defcon 5 is actually the lowest level. Defcon 1 is the highest.

Back on topic, I've been lucky to avoid getting any so far this year. I've definitely brushed through it riding, but so far immediate cool shower + dish soap has kept me clear.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,456 Posts
But my post is way funnier with the "5". A ONE just doesnt have the comedic punch as the Five. WOPR out!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,202 Posts
Would DefCon and military readiness have anything to do with this anyway? At least, MOPP or DECON would make some sense...

Or maybe it was meant to be DefCom?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.