Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over here in Long Island, NY there seems to be a very large amount of Poison Ivy around most trail sides. I really never started noticing it till recently though ive gotten it allot before as a kid riding trails.

What do most bikers do or treat this stuff? Is it not a problem in most areas or do you just avoid it?

If your not traviling the same trail over and over tyou never know whats around the next bend and thers always some sort of vines or plants smacking you in the face.

Do you just kinda ignore it and if you get a rash from it every so often it doesnt matter?

And if you do, what do you do with clothing, im pretty shure its a wax based thing so i cant see that comming off material in the wash.

Just wanted to know how you guys handled this.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,726 Posts
Krause said:
Just wanted to know how you guys handled this.
I am constantly vigilant as I ride to avoid any branches hanging over the trails in ambush. When I get home from a ride the first thing I do is shower with my friend Tecnu. Me an Technu this time of year are like peas and carrots. Technu is always with me in the shower and caresses my skin gently, mitigating the effects of that poisonous 3 leaved rascal.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Zanfel, get it at CVS, expensive but works great.
If you think you have been exposed wash as soon as possible. I wash with simple Green if I think I have been exposed as the agent in poison ivy is an oil.
Be aware you get get exposed from handleing anything that has touched poison ivy. Things like your dog, bike or your shoes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I second Zanfel. I got Poison ivy at Bethpage State Park a few years ago and that stuff got rid of the itch within minutes, and helped get rid of the rash within days. A little goes a long way. The tube is small, the cost is around $40 but follow the directions and it should last through for a while.

To get it off your clothes just put them in the washing machine with everything else. Poison Ivy is a rash from an oil, not a wax.

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Technu for immediately after exposure. I slather on some after every ride. Zanfel (or the CVS brand equivalent) if you start to get a rash. Early application is the key.

op

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent thanks guys :D

Just for compleation though, if you saw that you walked through some but it only lets say hit your riding shoes, your prob not gonna throw them in the wash. And if the sides touch your skin you may get it.

Is just throwing them in the wash the way?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm getting choked up...

zon said:
I am constantly vigilant as I ride to avoid any branches hanging over the trails in ambush. When I get home from a ride the first thing I do is shower with my friend Tecnu. Me an Technu this time of year are like peas and carrots. Technu is always with me in the shower and caresses my skin gently, mitigating the effects of that poisonous 3 leaved rascal.
That sounds really romantic.

:smilewinkgrin: :ihih:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Krause said:
Excellent thanks guys :D

Just for compleation though, if you saw that you walked through some but it only lets say hit your riding shoes, your prob not gonna throw them in the wash. And if the sides touch your skin you may get it.

Is just throwing them in the wash the way?
Shoes I don't throw in the washing machine, I will rinse them with a hose though. Clothes have to be washed. If your skin touches clothes that have the oils on it then yes, you very likely can/will get poison ivy.

Where on the Island are you riding seeing the poison ivy?

·
Missing NorCal riding,,,
118 Posts
In addition to Tecnu to get the oil off, I use Ivy Block before hand to help prevent the oil from adhering to my skin. When I've used Ivy Block I have never had a reaction - on the other hand, when I don't use it and don't Tecnu right away, I always seem to get one small spot.

Ivy Block before - Tecnu after = no itchies. :thumbsup:

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spdrcr5 said:
Shoes I don't throw in the washing machine, I will rinse them with a hose though. Clothes have to be washed. If your skin touches clothes that have the oils on it then yes, you very likely can/will get poison ivy.

Where on the Island are you riding seeing the poison ivy?
Most trails along the 1.5 mile from the coast area along Suffolk

mtb-chop said:
In addition to Tecnu to get the oil off, I use Ivy Block before hand to help prevent the oil from adhering to my skin. When I've used Ivy Block I have never had a reaction - on the other hand, when I don't use it and don't Tecnu right away, I always seem to get one small spot.

Ivy Block before - Tecnu after = no itchies. :thumbsup:
Cool :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shad6Bones said:
Zanfel and Technu... sound like interesting products.

I live in the south... Where can I get these products?

Thanks,
S6
I've never heard of Technu, but Zanfel can be purchased online or any drug store can get it if they don't already stock it.

Ok, just googled Tecnu and found their website also. Going to pick this up for future use too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts