Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Tour de Pocahontas stage race. From reading the descriptions of the trails and looking at Strava, it looks like there are a lot of short steep climbs and short technical sections. No sustained climbing, e.g. over a mile at 10% or miles long rock gardens. Is this accurate? 34 miles for the Sport race on Saturday seems like a lot, but if a lot of the trails aren't technical and there's no sustained climbing, perhaps it's not as tough as it sounds. Any information about the trail system would be appreciated.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey man, those poca trails are mega groomed, super flowy, with some manufactured rocks and TTF's threaded in the mix. Super fun...we drive two hours from VB to ride it regularly. A 20 mile day there is still a big day man, so you'll have to evaluate what 34 miles means to you. Some of that will be chill, non timed climbs on single track or fire roads, and the timed portions are DH enduro style timed stages (If I am correct.). Regardless, a top notch place to ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, those poca trails are mega groomed, super flowy, with some manufactured rocks and TTF's threaded in the mix. Super fun...we drive two hours from VB to ride it regularly. A 20 mile day there is still a big day man, so you'll have to evaluate what 34 miles means to you. Some of that will be chill, non timed climbs on single track or fire roads, and the timed portions are DH enduro style timed stages (If I am correct.). Regardless, a top notch place to ride!
Thanks for the info. I talked to the promoter and he said the same thing, very flowy with some man made rock gardens and other features. The Saturday race is meant to be a marathon length, so I think 34 miles won't be horrible. Looking at times from last year I think I'll be ok in Sport. 34 miles in Michaux, where I mostly ride, would probably take me 4.5 - 5 hours and I'd be way too beat up to do a race the next day, but it's the opposite of flow. Super rocky and lots of vert.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track man. My guess is that you are in for a really fun day. Keep an eye on the weather, these trails close when wet. In addition, you will be rewarded with some faster rolling treads. I prefer something in the range of Dissector F, Rekon R, and thats on my big trail bike. You will see plenty of XC tires, and a mix of Minion type treads as well I am sure. Most of the trails are hard pack, rocks here and there that are NOT slippery, and a root or two thrown in. Think fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts