Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think you can always tell by a simple visual, and it also just depends how you land and what you land on, and the shape of what you land on. I am on my second tectal spin race, I had an over the bars crash on my first one and landed on my temple (right onto the part of the helmet that dips down a little in front of your ear) and it had a noticeable dent, but the force was pretty concentrated on that one area. I could see that if you landed on flat ground with the force spread over more area, you'd probably need calipers to be able to measure the difference.
In my case it was a freaking hard hit to the temple and no concussion (hit was hard enough to perforate my ear drum though). Hence I bought another one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I posted a similar message in a DH Biking group i'm in on fb where I posted pictures of my head and helmet and there I saw another of these helmets with a corrugated style front end where the rider had head butted a rock. He has full confidence in these too.

He became blind for what he thinks was around 5 minutes and didn't suffer concussion, but he is a 95kg rider and I am an 80kg rider. Maybe that has something to do with the shell damage too? Just wondering really!

i'd like to see more science behind the helmets as I take my health really seriously. I'd normally bail before risking myself if I don't feel up to a challenge on a particular run or jump, or i'm having an off day. Maybe different helmets, besides just the fit fit, suit different weights for example. Maybe standards need to address a broader range of weights maybe and maybe there needs to be more than one type of internal density of foam to take into consideration rider weight.

The weather is great here and I just want to be out riding more. If that means a helmet that protects my head better so I don't wipe myself out for a week or a few weeks, then I'll pay more.

Props to Poc that I walked away then, but it would be nice if some helmet reviewers could do a proper non affiliated test with multiple copies of helmets from multiple brands and help give us real world comparisons, rather than end users checking to see if a helmet meets a standard for their part of the globe.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the review. I was looking at picking one of these up for next season. Humm, guess I'll have to find a LBS to test fit instead of buying one online.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Fit is important.

Thanks for the review. I was looking at picking one of these up for next season. Humm, guess I'll have to find a LBS to test fit instead of buying one online.
Good idea. Try on is the best.
If no helmets you can try are pleasant to you, you can try what I did:
Write to the good people making or selling the helmets and ask for inside lenght and width. You may be surprised that only few answers will come to you and most of them will be with the silly circumference data that are telling exactly nothing about if the helmet will fit on your head or not.
I will not buy another POC helmet before they change the foam in them as that is far too dense. Have 2 and do not use them after my crash in the Tectal.
Good luck finding a helmet and yuo have only one head so protect it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Good idea. Try on is the best.
If no helmets you can try are pleasant to you, you can try what I did:
Write to the good people making or selling the helmets and ask for inside lenght and width. You may be surprised that only few answers will come to you and most of them will be with the silly circumference data that are telling exactly nothing about if the helmet will fit on your head or not.
I will not buy another POC helmet before they change the foam in them as that is far too dense. Have 2 and do not use them after my crash in the Tectal.
Good luck finding a helmet and yuo have only one head so protect it.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the missing foam in the rear of the helmet. I'm sure there's a safety design reason for it? Humm, maybe I'll stick to my Fox helmets...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bump... how is everybody cleaning their tectal race spin liner? Also wondering if anyone has a good seam repair idea for this liner.

I've been handwashing in warm water and dish soap (and air dry) which seems to work fine, but wondering if anyone has a hack or two to share.

In my experience, most helmet liners are unreasonably fragile (given the cost of the helmet), especially at the seams. Have the POC for about a year now and the front lower seam is just starting to give way.

BTW - Best helmet I've tried. Previously used TLD A1/A2, but their liner's don't last at all and replacements for model/year TLD's over two years old are ridiculously difficult to find. I expect my helmet to last for years and years (unless impact), so being able to replace the liner down the road is critical... it is not a durable part.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bump... how is everybody cleaning their tectal race spin liner? Also wondering if anyone has a good seam repair idea for this liner.

I've been handwashing in warm water and dish soap (and air dry) which seems to work fine, but wondering if anyone has a hack or two to share.

In my experience, most helmet liners are unreasonably fragile (given the cost of the helmet), especially at the seams. Have the POC for about a year now and the front lower seam is just starting to give way.

BTW - Best helmet I've tried. Previously used TLD A1/A2, but their liner's don't last at all and replacements for model/year TLD's over two years old are ridiculously difficult to find. I expect my helmet to last for years and years (unless impact), so being able to replace the liner down the road is critical... it is not a durable part.
If you are talking about the blue pad headliner, I saw a video somewhere where they said to take it out, put it in the helmet bag, tie the bag closed and wash it in the washing machine. Then let it air dry.

Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRZZGxFvJw&t=30s

·
Registered
103 Posts
An older thread here but I'll add; the shiny under surface of the visor is very reflective, almost mirror like in winter conditions, and somewhat distracting. Once I noticed it I can't go without seeing it all the time now. I'll be shooting the underside with a matte black paint.

I have the black with the white rear section. Other than that I really like the helmet and it fits me great.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts