Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 2 months I've come up with various themes on a long, technical, and fun route in the PMP that I've named "Everything Including The Kitchen Sink". This route goes up and down just about everything in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve worth climbing or descending -- Shaw Butte, Hairball, Cheesegrater, Rocky Ridge, etc. Now I would like to offer this up as a group ride for anybody who wants to give it a shot.

The Ride: Everything Inclduing The Kitchen Sink route. Lots of climbing, lots of descending, and lots of gnar/exposure. There are some very technical sections, so this ride is not for the feint of heart.

When Is It: Saturday Mar 6. Gather around 8:30AM and start riding at 9AM. The full route took Bob (Chongoman) and I around 4.5hrs at a decent pace, so I figure a group ride will take somewhere between 5-6hrs.

Where Is It: Start and end at my house. There is plenty of parking in the driveway and the street (and it's much safer than the DD parking lots). Address is 2401 E Turquoise Dr, Phoenix 85028.

What Bike to Bring: Just about any bike will suffice. An XC bike will be great on the climbs but scary on the descents. A 6" AM rig will be fun on the descents but tiring on the climbs. There really isn't a bike that will work for the entire route...and that's part of what makes it fun, as it is a challenge on any bike. I will be rolling on my Kona Hei-Hei 29'er.

What Else to Bring: Lots of water/food. There are a few stops along the way to refill your Camelbak if need be. Body armor is optional (I won't have any on, but I also have a lot of scars to show for it!...but you can walk down anything beyond your comfort level). Also bring a swimsuit if you want to dip in the hot tub afterwards.

Who Should Come: anybody, but understand that this is a long, hard ride that ventures onto some advanced (black-diamond) trails. If somebody wants to offer to lead a shorter, less advanced route, that would be awesome (Su Ling??).

What's Happening Afterwards: well, that is up to you. My wife and daughter are going out of town that weekend, so I have the house to myself. If anybody is interested in some post-ride libations, that can certainly be arranged. I have a pool table, hot tub, swimming pool (for anybody brave enough of the cold), and some leftover beer that I cannot drink. :thumbsup:

Anyway, if you are interested in coming out, post up or send me a PM.

PS - attached is a map of the general route. I will have something a little more detailed next week (with one minor change to include the Mine Trail).

Thx...Doug

Attachments

·
livin' the dream......
1,954 Posts
I'd like to do this, can not commit yet as I need to check the family schedule this day. We'll see!

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Hey Doug, Since the family is away for the weekend, this is the time to ride the "Super Grande Everything Including The Kitchen Sink" loop. 30 miles and 5000' of climbing should hopefully kick yours and Chongo's butt a little. If I was in better shape and didn't have a pile of stuff to do around the house this weekend, I would join you.

dgangi said:
Over the past 2 months I've come up with various themes on a long, technical, and fun route in the PMP that I've named "Everything Including The Kitchen Sink". This route goes up and down just about everything in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve worth climbing or descending -- Shaw Butte, Hairball, Cheesegrater, Rocky Ridge, etc. Now I would like to offer this up as a group ride for anybody who wants to give it a shot.

The Ride: Everything Inclduing The Kitchen Sink route. Lots of climbing, lots of descending, and lots of gnar/exposure. There are some very technical sections, so this ride is not for the feint of heart.

When Is It: Saturday Mar 6. Gather around 8:30AM and start riding at 9AM. The full route took Bob (Chongoman) and I around 4.5hrs at a decent pace, so I figure a group ride will take somewhere between 5-6hrs.

Where Is It: Start and end at my house. There is plenty of parking in the driveway and the street (and it's much safer than the DD parking lots). Address is 2401 E Turquoise Dr, Phoenix 85028.

What Bike to Bring: Just about any bike will suffice. An XC bike will be great on the climbs but scary on the descents. A 6" AM rig will be fun on the descents but tiring on the climbs. There really isn't a bike that will work for the entire route...and that's part of what makes it fun, as it is a challenge on any bike. I will be rolling on my Kona Hei-Hei 29'er.

What Else to Bring: Lots of water/food. There are a few stops along the way to refill your Camelbak if need be. Body armor is optional (I won't have any on, but I also have a lot of scars to show for it!...but you can walk down anything beyond your comfort level). Also bring a swimsuit if you want to dip in the hot tub afterwards.

Who Should Come: anybody, but understand that this is a long, hard ride that ventures onto some advanced (black-diamond) trails. If somebody wants to offer to lead a shorter, less advanced route, that would be awesome (Su Ling??).

What's Happening Afterwards: well, that is up to you. My wife and daughter are going out of town that weekend, so I have the house to myself. If anybody is interested in some post-ride libations, that can certainly be arranged. I have a pool table, hot tub, swimming pool (for anybody brave enough of the cold), and some leftover beer that I cannot drink. :thumbsup:

Anyway, if you are interested in coming out, post up or send me a PM.

PS - attached is a map of the general route. I will have something a little more detailed next week (with one minor change to include the Mine Trail).

Thx...Doug

·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would Sunday Mar 7 work better for more people? A few of you have already said Sat Mar 6 is out...but if we switch the date to Sun Mar 7 to accommodate those who cannot ride on Saturday, does that knock anybody else out?

I have no family obligations the entire weekend (short of the usual house chores), so I am fine with either day.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
238 Posts
dgangi said:
Would Sunday Mar 7 work better for more people? A few of you have already said Sat Mar 6 is out...but if we switch the date to Sun Mar 7 to accommodate those who cannot ride on Saturday, does that knock anybody else out?

I have no family obligations the entire weekend (short of the usual house chores), so I am fine with either day.

Thx...Doug
Works for me. I am typically hungover on Saturday mornings, so Sunday is better! :D

·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steel Freak said:
Hey Doug were you on Shaw Butte today climbing with another rider?
No...that wasn't me. I was on my SS *near* Shaw Butte, but I didn't climb it. I am saving that for next week. :thumbsup:

Thx...Doug

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Went up 100 this morning, Up and down Shaw Butte, over to T25 cross T-Bird up to T308 round Lookout Mountain back down T25 to T100 then home, Started at 15th ave. and Glendale ended at 17th ave Bethany Home. Had a few equiptment failures today, a broken spoke, slipping Chris King Freewheel, and punctured the rear tire, (Just a regular tube).
Took the Bike to slippery Pig for Repairs.

Two guys on Hei He's were riding up the Butte as I desended.
STeel Freak.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow. That route is the jammy jam. Throw in the Disney Land loop instead of descending that steep section just south east of Cave Creak. If i can convince my girlfriend that i can play hookie from work I'm in.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts