Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Saturday, we slept in as what most people did on the day after July 4th and did not pull into Hunting Hollow parking lot until almost 11. The sun was already cooking the ground by then. Perfect for heat training at Coe. Two riders returned from their ride of the day while we were gearing up. I was feeling a bit lethargic. Unlike my first time riding at Coe, I was more in the I-will-just-see-how-I-feel mood. As it turned out, we felt better as the day went on and did exactly what we set out to do on my first ride there (Plim's route) but didn't even get lost this time.

I sucked my 70oz camelbak dry mid-way, and we filtered water from Frog Lake thanking the new Katadyn Hiker Water Filter we just bought (a recommendation I got on MTBR). And I emptied it again, but it was on the way back to our car on Coit Road, so it was no big deal.

The creeks were either low or dry. We didn't get our bikes wet at all this time. There were quite a few people hanging out at China Hole cooling in the water holes. Other than that, we didn't see more than two hikers on the trails.

When we got back to the car, I patted myself on the back, "Good job for riding Coe for 35+ miles (motionbased) on a hot day like this!" Just when I was feeling proud of myself, a lone figure pulled into the parking lot on a mountain bike. Oh, I recoganize that figure from a distance -- it was Plim (Roy)! As we found out, he just did a solo ride for 44+ miles all the way to Paradise Lake. We had to flip the map over to find where lake was. I shrank talking to him.

Following are a few photos from the trip:

Inch by inch, I will get there.

The tree snapped on Flat Frog Trail. It makes it a bit tricky to go through. Click on the image for a full size to see how I "rode" it. :D

The creek at the bottom of Middle Ridge is bone try.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Heat riding in Henry Coe is quite a challenge and accomplishment. It's also nice being alone in the park.

Well, alone except for Roy - he's one of the few that is OK with the heat at Henry Coe. And Roy is more than Plim, he's Plymmer on MTBR. (Mike is Plim, and he wouldn't be riding Henry Coe in this heat.)

I also looked at your MB tracks. You did quite a ride!

One thing, most people get a bit under 7000' of climb on this ride. I think your 8200' of climb is because you have "Auto Calibration" set for your altimeter on your GPS. I see a few odd jumps in your altitude. Auto Calibration typically adds about 150' of bogus climb per hour with it's barometric resets based on satellite noise. If you leave it off, you instead get less than 10'/hour of a slow uniform drift from air pressure changes over the ride.

·
Curse you Coe!
214 Posts
Riding Middle Ridge must seem like a piece of cake after riding Jack Daniel's. And 7 hours at Coe during the hottest hours of the day?! To each their own...

Curious, did you WALK or RIDE the steps on Flat Frog Trail?

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Good ride! Glad you were able to do that route without getting lost.

And as BigLarry pointed out, I'm more elusive than you thought. You met plymmer (Roy), the Cing of Coe (King of Koe?). I was up in Marin riding shady trails that day.

We're still waiting for plimest to appear and put both Roy and I to shame.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that is so embarrassing! :blush: How did I make such a mistake considering at one point, Skyline35 (Charlie) helped me differentiate the two handles! Actually when we talked to Roy at the parking lot, I told him we did Plim's route -- I was still clear then. But last night, when I wrote my ride report, I found myself thinking, "Oh, how rude I was! I didn't even thank Roy in personal for the awesome route recommendation." -- I was confused again! Oh, I should not write any report late at night again!

Okay, I will correct the title if I can find a way and will leave the post be, which will put me to shame every time I see it.

BigLarry, I want to thank you because I saw in another (maybe old) thread in which you recommended the water filter. We couldn't have been happier with it. We didn't get the Pro version because it's so easy to just stick the hose into the camelbak and pump -- no connector is needed.

Daryl, I'm so glad you asked! Yes, yes, I did RIDE the steps. My first time on Flat Frog, I walked it without any hesitation -- I was just following what the sign says, "Walk Your Bike." The second time (trail work day), I tried to ride it but got scared and overgripped. Half way through, I was veering to the right. Luckily I came off the bike right before it was about to get off the steep side. Charlie came up behind me, "nice save!" This was my third time on it. I just followed Erik's line. It was easy and it was so much fun! Thump, thump, thump...

Middle Ridge was no cake though. I didn't clear the entire trail, but my forearms were not as pumped as the previous two times I was on it.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigLarry said:
I think your 8200' of climb is because you have "Auto Calibration" set for your altimeter on your GPS. I see a few odd jumps in your altitude. Auto Calibration typically adds about 150' of bogus climb per hour with it's barometric resets based on satellite noise. If you leave it off, you instead get less than 10'/hour of a slow uniform drift from air pressure changes over the ride.
Wow, you know the stuff! I'll check when I go home. It's still the factory setting. I'll find out how to turn it off. I thought the elevation gain was a bit off. The weird thing is it doesn't always add that much. It seems the MB data for D'ville rides is pretty close to consensus. Maybe it was the heat.

·
More pie please
2,013 Posts
Nice report, thanks! I meant to say that before this thread slipped to page 2. Don't sell yourself short, you did a big ride. :thumbsup: Your route was more fun than Roy's route, you had a higher ratio of single-track to fireroad, and overall was a pretty similar effort. Part of Roy's 44 miles was the ~flat ~12 miles of Orestimba Road. I found his trip on the internet and his stopped time was more than his moving time; looks like he took a couple naps!

Since the Skeggs trailwork was called-off, I am tempted to go on Plim's route tomorrow…

///Charlie

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Almost Paradise

It was good seeing you and Eric in the parking lot after the ride, May. I was just getting done saying hi to another Coe regular when you said hi! I see him a lot and he usually hikes and camps there on a regular basis. So, I don't have to feel so bad for my lingering at Coe. There's others you know.

That Paradise Lake ride does have it's fun single track. Orestimba Creek Trail is a blast and I managed to do the Coit Dam/Coit Ridge Trail along with Grizzly Gulch Trail that's a good tonic for a long ride.

Paradise Lake is wonderful. The water is perfect (not too low 'cause it's good size) and so remote that you have the lake to yourself. I was accompanied by 2 coots honking away and I scared two ducks when I swam up to them. That was the only lake I swam in but this Saturday...

...I swam in Kelly Lake, Coit Lake, Mississippi Lake and the awkwardly titled Fish and Game Pond. All good swims!

The route:

Coit Road, Anza/Jackson, Elderberry Trail, Rock Tower Trail, Domino Pond Trail, Wasno Road, Kelly Lake Trail, Coit Road, Willow Ridge Road, Coit Dam Trail, Coit Ridge Trail, White Tank Spring Road, Coit Road, Pacheco Camp, Pacheco Creek Trail, Mudd Spring Trail (well, I might have hit some of that trail), Pacheco Ridge Road, Willow Ridge Road, Mississippi Dam Trail, then back to Willow Ridge Road, Mississippi Ridge Trail (tough, today), Coit Road (crosses a lot of routes, a lot), Pacheco Camp, Coit Road, Fish and Game Pond Trail (hard to follow. I didn't), Wagon Road, Wasno Road, Tule Pond Trail, Grizzly Gulch Trail, Serpentine Trail (I cleared it!!!), Steer Ridge Road, Middle Steer Ridge (glorius. Just ask Tahoe BC), Hunting Hollow Road to the parking lot.

Fun day!

Charlie? I saw your truck. How was your ride?

Roy.

·
More pie please
2,013 Posts
plymmer said:
...I swam in Kelly Lake, Coit Lake, Mississippi Lake and the awkwardly titled Fish and Game Pond. All good swims!

The route:

Coit Road … to the parking lot.

Fun day!

Roy.
Okay Roy, I'll give you credit for that one-big ride! If I didn't know you were targeting the lakes, your route would be crazy. I guess you had the gps out of the Camelback to follow the Mudd Trail? (Did you leave the gps on overnight; 20 hrs total???)

plymmer said:
Charlie? I saw your truck. How was your ride?
Like mudworm, I did the classic HH to Middle Ridge & back (on Sat 7/12). To top up with water, I took a detour up to HQ; there I had a short chat with Ranger John Verhoeven. He is enjoying the new mtn bike but it's tough coming to terms with the climbing. He would like to put some mountain bike rides on the HQ Events bulletin board. :thumbsup: I found the trails to be dry and slippery. Kind of a low talent day for me but inexplicably-I mention this Roy because I know you love this stuff-I cleaned the two climbs on Middle Ridge and the Mahoney Meadows climb out of Los Cruzeros with relative ease. :confused: My inconsistent skill level keeps me entertained!

///Charlie

Coyote Creek is completely dry in places:

The low water level seems to concentrate life into the areas around the remaining pools and it is easier to find the wildlife. At China Hole, a turtle (~8") and some fish (about a foot long):

Near Los Cruzeros I found these flowers and Bumble Bees along the streambed

Route: Start at Hunting Hollow > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > Coit Road > Anza Trail > Jackson Trail > Elderberry Spring Trail > Rock Tower Trail > Domino Pond Trail > Cattle Duster Trail > Coit Springs Trail > Cross Canyon Trail > Coit Road > Mahoney Meadows Road > China Hole Trail > Manzanita Point Road > Park HQ for water > Manzanita Point Road > Flat Frog Trail > Hobbs Road > Middle Ridge Trail > Poverty Flats Road > Shafer Corral > Narrows Trail > Mahoney Meadows Road > Lost Spring Trail > Mahoney Meadows Road > Coit Road > Cross Canyon Trail > Grapevine Trail > Anza Trail > Coit Road > Gilroy Hot Springs Road > Hunting Hollow parking. 9:25 total time / 6:02 rolling time / 38 miles / 6,935' climb / 1 pbj bagel, 1 banana, 1 Clif bar, SportLegs, Tums, HammerGel, and I guess 5 - 6 liters water

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Skyline35 said:
Okay Roy, I'll give you credit for that one-big ride! If I didn't know you were targeting the lakes, your route would be crazy. I guess you had the gps out of the Camelback to follow the Mudd Trail? (Did you leave the gps on overnight; 20 hrs total???)
Yup. Your "time stopped" comment made me think he was swimming, not napping. Sounds like that's what he was doing.

Skyline35 said:
I cleaned the two climbs on Middle Ridge and the Mahoney Meadows climb out of Los Cruzeros with relative ease. :confused: My inconsistent skill level keeps me entertained!
Good work!

Skyline35 said:
Coyote Creek is completely dry in places:

Awright. That picture convinced me. I need to get serious about getting back in shape for the cooler fall weather when I can attempt Coe again.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
plymmer said:
Roy, Erik says you are his new hero now because you've swam in so many lakes...in one day. :thumbsup:

Charlie, your photos are, as always, eye-candies to me. Thank you for posting.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
20 Hours Of Swimming

I have no idea why I'm getting such long stopped times. Maybe I need to have the gps overhauled. Maybe Larry knows.

The swimming was excellent. Thanks Erik. The Middle Ridge ride is tougher in summer for sure since there is dwindling water in China Hole. Maybe Coit Lake should be included in the ride. Coe is so nice in summer with the beautiful water there. Since there is no swimming allowed in the local lakes.

Summer in Coe means be prepared, swim a lot, bring a water filter (Katadyn Hiker Pro) and food. You need to cool your core down often when it's that hot.

Roy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.