Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pistol, Pistola and Smash riders what configuration are you running. What do you like/dislike about each?

I started out with a Revved Smash in Plush mode and changed to Crush mode while trying to decide if I wanted to move down in travel with Pistol stays in Pistola mode. I instantly noticed that technical climbs were easier and felt faster on my everyday mellow singletrack. Soon after I converted to Pistola and stayed in Crush mode and thought this was the perfect setup for what I ride until taking a couple trips to Pisgah and beating myself up pretty good. While I can always convert back to Smash travel for my trips to the rough stuff I’m hoping the Pistola in Plush mode is what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Playing around right now - currently riding Smash in Crush mode - which feels good, but I haven't quite got the shock dialed in yet. I think once I get a volume spacer or two in there, I should be good. But maybe once I try some more spacers in the shock I'll try plush more some more...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ride a size 4 Revved Smash, with a MRP Ribbon Air set at 150 in the front and a MRP Hazzard coil shock. I live on the Front Range, where most of my riding is, but also ride in the CO mountains and Moab.

I swap between the two fairly regularly, depending on the rides I'm doing. It feels like 2 different bikes when I set up the fork correctly. The Ribbon has a lot of adjustment and can be set to match the ride quality I'm looking for.

In Crush, the Smash feels like a faster, more nimble bike. The difference is noticeable, especially if I've been in Plush for a while. I switch when I'm doing longer rides on trails with less technical downhill, or on rides when speed is important.

I switch to Plush when the ride is focused on the downhill portion - Longhorn, Ahab, etc. It is confidence inspiring and planted, and I can open it up a bit on the chop.

I think trying to match the dynamics of the fork to either has made a difference for me, and was worth the effort of dialing in the settings through trial and error. The Ribbon has been fantastic, but was some work getting all the settings figured out.

I love this bike, and feel like it is very well suited to the Front Range trails. I'd planned on buying a TP setup in the future, but right now the two modes come close to matching what I want for 90% of my rides. I've thought about a lighter wheels for speed days in Crush (I'm on DTSwiss 1501s now), but not sure if it's worth the cost. Hope this was helpful.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,527 Posts
My '18 Smash is the aluminum version which I ride in Plush mode with a coil 11.6 shock. Prior to owning this bike I had a GG Pistola with an air shock and ran that bike mostly in Crush mode. I've employed both Crush and Plush modes on both bikes and have come away believing that shock settings can be adjusted to accomplish similar results to switching between modes, since all a C/P mode swap does is slightly alter the suspension linkage's leverage ratio on the shock.

Personally (that is on MY bike at My weight with MY shock) I practically never feel my shock bottom out -- even in the slightly softer Plush mode -- so I don't see any reason to give up any plushness by decreasing leverage (aka switching to Crush). But again, I believe that depending on various shock brands, models & settings, one man's Crush is another man's Plush. Meaning that whichever suspension mode I run has no bearing on what anyone else should run. Akin to suggesting or comparing stem length, other larger factors at play eliminate any ability to directly compare or suggest, so that doing so would essentially be meaningless.
=sParty

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've got a size 3 Trail Pistola, currently running it in Plush mode with a 210x55 Cane Creek Coil Inline... and it rocks. I have always been one to use the climb switch for long, extended climbs (based in CO), which I do on the DB Inline. But for techy climbs, leaving it open works amazingly.

And the bike is SUPER plush on the descents, about as good as it gets for a 130mm trail bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brand new smash with the ride build shock: switched to crush after 1 ride. I was just tinkering as I tried to learn the bike (still doing that) but it just felt better on the next ride so I’ve left it there. I’m about 10 rides deep now.

I’ve got the ribbon up front and am way overwhelmed with the setup options on that thing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve got the ribbon up front and am way overwhelmed with the setup options on that thing.....
It took me a while to get it where I love it, but it's worth it. Finding the sweet spot for the pos chamber, and then making sure the neg chamber is about 10 psi higher has made the bike feel invincible. I check the neg pressure before every ride.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It took me a while to get it where I love it, but it's worth it. Finding the sweet spot for the pos chamber, and then making sure the neg chamber is about 10 psi higher has made the bike feel invincible. I check the neg pressure before every ride.
Do you find that it changes very often, or do you just check it to be sure?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you find that it changes very often, or do you just check it to be sure?
The negative pressure seems to change fairly often on my fork. The fork is much more responsive to small bumps when the neg is set correctly, and it's so easy to fill, that I've been adding air every ride other than back to back days.

·
Registered
863 Posts
On my Smash setup with coil, I keep it on plush, and don't need to use the climb switch. I did a ride with it in crush, and could see running it on very smooth flow trails for loony speed, but it was too taxing for normal riding for me. But I've more or less switched over to Gnarvana full time now, so no flip chip decisions anymore.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
I've got a metal Smash with coil shock and have always run it in "plush" mode. It rides so well like that including climbing I haven't seen any reason to mess with "crush" mode.

My GF's on a Revved Smash with air shock and also only used "plush" mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same here - Revved Smash with a coil shock. Switched to plush mode after the first few rides and haven't gone back.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Carbon Smash w/DHX2. I use both modes, plush for winch & plummet rides, crush for lots of ups and downs or long epics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts