Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the deal is with this plug? It's got a small hole in itthats threaded - probably for a fender. Wondering if this thing is structural. I would like to remove it so that I can run my Hopey Steering Dampener. Anyone know if I can do this and if so how?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Me too, Pike

I was curious about the same thing... Probably just pressed in, but who wants to pound on it with a big drift punch to find out? :( It's one of those things I would rather just throw in my tool box until I needed it.

JMH

rug wheelie said:
Anyone know what the deal is with this plug? It's got a small hole in itthats threaded - probably for a fender. Wondering if this thing is structural. I would like to remove it so that I can run my Hopey Steering Dampener. Anyone know if I can do this and if so how?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Call SRAM/Rock Shox and be sure....

I THINK that I remember reading some where that the plug is removeable, but i would not swear to it. So call them, DON'T email, and ask. Their number is on the website, link "contact us" on the bottom of the RS home page. Like I said, I THINK that you can remove it without any adverse affects to the crown or steerer. But I could be wrong. The price of a short long distance phone call isn't that much to ensure you peace of mind or save the cost of a new fork. Hopefully some one else here is more certain on this subject.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
513 Posts
See tscheezy on turner forum

rug wheelie said:
He has done this surgery and posted instructions/pics.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
When I got my Hopey, I called them up and spoke to Tim himself. He found a bolt which had a 5mm allen head, and that's how one would install it on a PIKE. It happaned to be the last one he had. Rumor has is that he's getting more of these bolts made.

_MK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.