Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to build a 650B/27.5 bike. I currently have a 26" full suspension and would prefer that my new build is also a full suspension, but the frame I want, the Yeti SB75, is currently out of my reach due to its high cost. While I wait to save money for that frame, I want to go with a low cost hard tail frame with the goal of switching to full suspension when I can afford the Yeti frame. Seems like all the components I plan to buy are going to work on either frame, with the exception of the fork (prefer a Fox CTD). The hard tail frames can't take more than 100-120mm of travel, while the Yeti takes a 140 travel fork. I don't want to buy two forks. Are there any forks that would be adjustable between 100 to 140mm? Or am I better off finding a cheap 100mm fork for now, and later get a new, more expensive 140 fork for the Yeti? I definitely do not want to wait on the project until I can get the Yeti frame, as that could take a while.

Thanks in advance for your help or suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you have that low cost hardtail frame? If you don't take a look at the On One 45650b frame. It's around €260, takes forks from 100-150mm.
If you have a frame you can get forks like Fox Talas 140 or Rock Shox Pike 150mm dual air. Both are overkill on an xc hardtail frame though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation for the frame. Will definitely check-out the On One frame. I don't have one yet. Was considering the Jamis Dargon as an option. As for the fork, I am hoping to get something like the Fox Float CTD 140, if I can adjust it down, but with the frame you recommended maybe I don't have to.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Seems like the #1 & 2 picks for the Yeti would be Pike and Sweep, with price difference and tuneability being the big differentiators. If you want to try and ride the hardtail in the same conditions that the Yeti will thrive in, then you should probably be looking for one of the new crop of "All Mountain" hardtails..the on-one is a good suggestion.

I bought an X-Fusion Velvet w/ 15mm thru-axle for $350 brand new and it has been excellent. Same damper as the Sweep. I'm running it at 140, and it can be adjusted down to 100 easily. It's not going to be the stiffest/burliest fork on the Yeti... a 34+mm fork would definitely be better there, but it would span both of those bikes really well nonetheless.

You could also get a screaming deal on a lightly used Fox 32mm 26" fork and use it for 650b on the hardtail with enough clearance for *some* 2.35 tires....those forks had a LOT of extra clearance for 26" wheels.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Dont get the hardtail keep that money to put towards the fs and youll get it sooner. just ride the 26er till then. That way you can buy complete build with the right fork for the frame. Wether you sell the 26er now or later it doesnt matter youll still get raped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts