Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a hard tail GT avalanche 3.0 all shimano components
My last brakes I had I accidentally ruined with mineral oil, I tried everything but the howling never ceased.

I bought new avid disks and new nuclear pads by shimano. I cleaned out the calipers weeks ago and installed the new pads and disks today to find that the pads were much too thick and the wheel would not turn more than a half rev. Despite this I burnt in the pads and disks and I still have quite a lot of resistance 3 revs. I'm not sure what to do. They are starting to squeal slightly "they are metallic" but they aren't contaminated. The pistons are as flush and clean as can be. equal pressure both sides. the disks are not warped. The brakes are aligned.

Any tips?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you push the pistons back into the caliper prior to replacing the pads? The calipers will self adjust to the new pads but you have to force the pistons into the calipers using a tire lever or large screw driver prior to inserting the pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you push the pistons back into the caliper prior to replacing the pads? The calipers will self adjust to the new pads but you have to force the pistons into the calipers using a tire lever or large screw driver prior to inserting the pads.

Yes I did, that's the problem... I don't know... I will try opening up the master cylinder and drain fluid as I push the piston back but Im 90% sure that they are as flush as they can get.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Removing some fluid as you suggested may help if you have too much fluid.

Push the pistons back in, insert the pads and slide a business card between the pads and rotor. Squeeze the levers to adjust the pads. Remove the business cards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts