Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my shock on my 2005 RX 100. Money is always an issue.
I am currently using a 2000 Float R that came on a 2000 Loco Moto. The shock was Pushed in 2005 and I transferred it to a 2005 RX 100 in a cracked frame deal with Titus. It has developed a clunk at the end of extension of its travel, at the start of rebound. This clunk cannot be felt on big hits or on wash boards. Lately I can reproduce the clunk while standing on the bike. I have no complaint service life of this thing. Here are the options that I understand:
Push the 2000 Float R again.
Buy a new or used Float R on E-bay for $50-120.
Buy a new or used Float RP23 on e-bay for $200-250
Any knowledge that you can share is gold. What year did pro-pedal begin? I see 'pre-2006' shocks out there. Should I avoid them? I like the features of the RP23, but am basicly a set and forget shock tuner.
Thanks for your weighing in. I want to research and spend wisely. Once.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
I need to replace my shock on my 2005 RX 100. Money is always an issue.
I am currently using a 2000 Float R that came on a 2000 Loco Moto. The shock was Pushed in 2005 and I transferred it to a 2005 RX 100 in a cracked frame deal with Titus. It has developed a clunk at the end of extension of its travel, at the start of rebound. This clunk cannot be felt on big hits or on wash boards. Lately I can reproduce the clunk while standing on the bike. I have no complaint service life of this thing. Here are the options that I understand:
Push the 2000 Float R again.
Buy a new or used Float R on E-bay for $50-120.
Buy a new or used Float RP23 on e-bay for $200-250
Any knowledge that you can share is gold. What year did pro-pedal begin? I see 'pre-2006' shocks out there. Should I avoid them? I like the features of the RP23, but am basicly a set and forget shock tuner.
Thanks for your weighing in. I want to research and spend wisely. Once.
I would send it to PUSH for a rebuild, should be ~$100.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Another Option

is to buy a mantiou swinger. At a few years ago I bought one from Santa cruise for less then 100 bucks if I remember correctly. I fit it on my racer-X and felt that it worked better then the RP3 that it came with. I bought it to have a spare shock around and ended up using it for 6 months cause I liked it better then it started leaking air and Manitou wants more cash to work on it then I paid for it so I am back to the RP3. So I would not recomend the swinger even though it rode amazing was more bob resistant and soaked up the bumps better then the rp3 just because its so hard to service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Consider a Cane Creek Cloud Nine. I plan to replace the Manitou Radium RL that came with my RX-1 Frame with one once I sell a few more parts. I rode a Cloud Nine for 4 years on a Salsa Caballero and loved it. Super easy to rebuild and service and very light. Also a perfect set and forget shock. There is no oil to leak, no nitrogen charge to loose, and great customer service to boot.

Just my two cents;
-Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts