Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH MY GOD what an incredible day for a ride - not that it's been a terribly bad winter...we had to go all the way to Kamloops to find a decent snowboarding hill! (Check out Sun Peaks Resort if you get a chance.)

Any hoo - we broke the new Industry Nine guy in proper out in Pisgah - up Sycamore Cove to Grassy Road to Thrift Cove, up Black Mtn to Maxwell, back down to 477, then up to Bennett Gap. The trails were in amazing shape - was able to climb my new Knolly all the way up Black Mountain with only two dismounts and a dab. Clear skies - it had to be 55-60 degrees, and the views of Looking Glass and John Rock from up on Bennett were crystal clear. I love the way these mountains look in the winter. The descent down Bennett was incredibly fast because the ground was just soft enough from the freeze/thaw to hook like multiflora rose thorns!

I thought I had pulled together an incident-free ride until I hooked a pedal on that stupid freaking piece of petrified wood at the bottom of those stairs near the end - you know the one, that's been laying exactly in the middle of the line where you have to turn left off the log stairs coming onto the flattish bottom section? Can we get a work party in there to move that stupid thing? Jake and I tried to push it out of the trail, but then realized that if it didn't move from me hooking my pedal on it and coming to a dead stop from probably 15-20 mph, then we weren't gonna move it by pushing on it. So I kicked it before continuing on, just for good measure.

All in all, an outstanding day for a ride! The days are getting longer...

·
MTBR member since 1998
185 Posts
Geeze, Fred. Sounds like you had a great day on the trail.
Me? Spent the first sunny weekend in a long time taking down Christmas lights and tiding up the snow damage from my yard.
At least I got to ski on the West Vancouver boiler plate Friday evening.
Enjoy the sunshine.
Tim

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Yes, yes we did...

Hey Fred!
Mike Brown and I got out for a good one, starting at Black Mountain trailhead->276->475->5003->Courthouse Falls Rd.->Kissee Creek->Farlow Gap->Daniel Ridge->475->276.

We had plans to head up 475B to Club Gap and down Black or Avery... but that didn't happen. Mike was ready to keep rolling but after 4.5 hours... I was only ready to roll back home.
Oh, by the way, my I9 wheels rock! I never knew that high quality wheels could make such a significant difference to the feel and handling of my bike.
Eric

·
Registered
91 Posts
damn you guys!

Unfortunately, not all of us were able to participate in all the "awesome riding" this weekend but I sure appreciate you guys rubbin in how great it was!
I, sadly, was stuck at work all weekend :( Guess its worth it once in a while so I can afford to pay for my riding habits...
However, weekend duties now fulfilled, I'll be free to do the Icycle this Saturday :thumbsup:

I challenge the weather to be worse than last year!!!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I rode but it was not any kind of a Pisgah epic. At least not for me. My riding partner on the other hand thought it was totally awesome.

I rode out in bent creek with my 7 year old son. It was his 4th official mountain bike ride. We did a mix of single track and gravel roads for all of 7 miles. A few creek crossings, one that was fairly deep. He had a total blast coming down the rhododendron tunnel on explorer loop. He was going pretty fast and the back of his bike was coming off the ground on the water bars. "Whoa! Did you see that ,dad?" After that he was kept saying "If you see any trails that go down a mountain, let do those." We just looped around and did it again. He definitely prefers the downhill to the climbing.

Seamed like everybody and their brother was out riding in bent creek. At some point we were pasted by a pack of like 50 riders all going very fast. Sunday was another story. Very cold, very few riders. Saw a few folks make it to the parking lot only to offer an excuse and turn around and go home. Cold Sunday = Excuse Monday But Saturday was a gem!

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! I went out yesterday (Sunday) morning and got my two-year-old his first "real" bike. He broke the handlebar off his plastic Little Tykes a few days ago - already following in his daddy's footsteps!

My wife and I braved the cold in the afternoon to hit Kitasuma, making it back to the truck just as the snow made it over the Craggy ridgeline. It wasn't so bad in the woods, but the headwind back up the road was daunting...she's a sport, though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What a great weekend of riding

My weekend started out Saturday after I picked up my rims from Lightning Cycles. I headed down to Riverbend Park(off of Lake Hickory) for two, four mile loops that were a blast. I had the night shift at the pizza parlor so I went to work after a well spent afternoon.
Sunday, me and my Dad headed down to Rennesance Park for the Winter Cup Short Track Series. I placed 6th so I couldn't complain. All in all, a great weekend of riding. Who could ask for better weather in the middle of January.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes... Saturday was a good day to be outside. My friends and I knocked out the Greenville Downtown 5k first thing, and then met at the Fish Hatchery to ride Caney Bottom and Butter Gap.

Saturday was too nice for just one sport!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Yes... Saturday was a good day to be outside. My friends and I knocked out the Greenville Downtown 5k first thing, and then met at the Fish Hatchery to ride Caney Bottom and Butter Gap.

Saturday was too nice for just one sport!
That's what I am talking about!! Nice work. Too bad you didn't paddle up the Green to get there :cool:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
videl_majin_cold45 said:
What a great weekend of riding

My weekend started out Saturday after I picked up my rims from Lightning Cycles. I headed down to Riverbend Park(off of Lake Hickory) for two, four mile loops that were a blast. I had the night shift at the pizza parlor so I went to work after a well spent afternoon.
Sunday, me and my Dad headed down to Rennesance Park for the Winter Cup Short Track Series. I placed 6th so I couldn't complain. All in all, a great weekend of riding. Who could ask for better weather in the middle of January.
cool. what class were you in? I really enjoyed the race as well.

I got out yesterday morning with my co-worker, Nathan. We did a really fast paced ride (for me) out at bent creek. All single track to 5 points, Greens Lick of course (standard when riding with Nate) back up Sidehill, Little Hickory Top, back down Ingles field to corvair and some more goodies once at the bottom. Conditions were hard packed and mostly frozen. Amazing way to spend a morning before work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.