Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weekends I have made a point to count the number of Cars parked at the local bike trailheads where I ride. The majority of the cars have empty bike racks and there have been anywhere from 25 to 40 cars!? A closer look showed that many of these cars and trucks had some form of local identification stickers or a parking tag ID. After noticing that I concluded that the majority of these cars drove only a few miles to get to the trailhead. My question to them is WHY NOT RIDE YOUR BIKES TO THE TRAILHEADS?? This particular area of Nor Cal, you really cant live THAT far from the trailheads. I ride my bike 8 miles to get to the trails and then 8 miles back after riding off road. The asphalt and bike lane is much easier than the off road riding and it makes for a nice warm up and cool down. I would just LOVE to see Mtn Bikers who are generally environmentally conscious (at least I thought they were) start avoiding driving to the trailheads as much as possible. Of course there are times when you have to drive with your car on your roof, however, why cant this be the exception instead of the rule.
Can folks out there give me some reason why they cant take just a little more time on their weekend rides and pedal to the trail instead of loading up all their stuff into their car? IT takes almost as long to drive anyway because of loading and unloading times and traffic, stop lights, etc. There are enough SUV's on the road without us adding to the problem. Going on a mtn bike ride does NOT have to mean... lets load up the car first and then go blow $10 worth of gas and contribute to the local pollution and congestion.

Additionally I would like to say, that folks that just want to take cars or SUV's with huge racks on so they can shuttle up and down the highway and then bomb down the trails time after time after time should either learn to ride up hill like a real moutain biker, or start doing ten fold trail maintenance than what they are doing now. Mostly because they are doing more damage to the trails than anyone else and should pay their part. Or they should go to the ski resorts and ride where this sort of thing is encouraged.

I look forward to others comments on these topics.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I rode to Hogan once to ride. Took about 4 hours (it's 45 miles away), and it's the closest I've got, sorry.

I do try to carpool from Stockton when I can, tho.

fp

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
While I do agree to a large extent, and I don't live anywhere near there, the reason I don't ride to the trails is due to the danger on the roadways. My area is not equipped to protect bikers, and the culture out here is biased towards driving, especially with many drivers committing acts of malice against bicyclists (as even evidenced yesterday) or simple ignorance. Riding to and from the trails here is more dangerous than riding in the trails.

I don't know the situation there, but if one can ride to the trail and it's a reasonable distance, why not. I see the idea being laid down. Perhaps 10% of them have legit reasons, such as limited riding ability, and maximizing time in the woods, etc.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
ventana1 said:
I look forward to others comments on these topics.
And comments you will get - this is borderline flaming.
I am not local to you, so I won't comment other than your math is not very good...

"blah blah blah....$10 gas...SUVs are bad mmkay...blah...."

If a SUV gets 14mpg and gas is $4/g, that is 35mi (or 2 trips to/from @ 8mi), or try $5 gas. And if they have the money, who cares?
Want to reduce pollution? Bomb coal factories in china. That is the real problem, not SUVs.:madman:

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Friday while riding on my return trip

from Nisene-Demo-Highland-Summit-to Summit Store I came across 3 guys who had passed me a few miles earlier. They parked by the slide area on Highland and seemed to still be milling about; one guy dialing in his ipod, and the other 2 seemed to be sizing up the weather, and deciding if to ride or not (full suspension bikes still on vehicle, back packs buldging w Y2K supplies).

i rolled up to the slide area/road block on my rigid single speed, gave a "how's it goin?", (no response, blank stares) and kept rolling.

y recount this encounter? i know a lot of people don't live near a trail, and have various other reasons for driving to ride but it seems to me that too many people spend too much time pondering and get too cozy with their creature comforts and in the process, lose an opportunity for growth.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Reasons to drive to trailhead:

10) More convenient to meet non-local friends at the trailhead

9) In the evening you can maximize daylight by driving directly to the trailhead from work.

8) You can avoid having to share the road with cars.

7) You can get a rise out of ventana1... (and ventana1, can't you find an entertainment activity that doesn't waste electricity like posting on forums does?)

and...

1) You can carry a cooler with beers for the post-ride cool down.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
fire horse said:
i think hes trying to say, let's be personally responsible. :thumbsup:
I agree with you (and him, in theory).
I don't agree with the tone and content of his messages. He chose to let his emotions show thru in the post - which became more of a diatribe than a question.

The condemnation and disapproval of the actions of others outweighs the message.

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Everyone doesn't live within biking distance from the trailhead..... if you think so - lol and wake up, have some coffee.

Mtb tires are for dirt, not pavement.

·
New Guy
189 Posts
... not everyone rides like you ride. you're being very narrow minded trying to be earth conscious.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
chudaman said:
Reasons to drive to trailhead:

10) More convenient to meet non-local friends at the trailhead

9) In the evening you can maximize daylight by driving directly to the trailhead from work.

8) You can avoid having to share the road with cars.

7) You can get a rise out of ventana1... (and ventana1, can't you find an entertainment activity that doesn't waste electricity like posting on forums does?)

and...

1) You can carry a cooler with beers for the post-ride cool down.
6) You have to work on the wknd, damn boss....and you only have 1.5 hrs of free time in btwn waking up and going into the office. IF you drive, you can at least ride the trail for an hour. If you ride there, you might as well turn back once you reach the trail head, coz the whole project team is waiting for you to be back at the office.....

5) You have family commitments, but you still want to have at least some amount of decent time to ride at the trails. So your only choice is wake up at 6 am, drive to the trail head when it is 30 something degrees, do your thing for an hour, and rush back home to meet up with wife and leave.

I agree with riding to the trails. I often done that when I was 15, 16. Once I rode 30 miles to meet up with a group ride, do the ride, and rode the 30 miles back. But now days, work and family just take up so much time that if you really want to squeeze in a ride in nature, driving there is the only choice to maximize trail time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
ventana1 said:
This particular area of Nor Cal, you really cant live THAT far from the trailheads.
Where do you live? I'm in Berkeley:

Tamarancho - 20 miles and a bridge with no bike lane
Annadel - 50 miles
Soquel Demonstration Forest - 75 miles
Auburn - 107 miles

Doesn't really work too well for me. Even if I did live 8 or so miles from a trailhead, my tires run me around $100 a set - I'm not gonna wear them out on the pavement.

·
New Guy
189 Posts
beaverbiker said:
and some people don't want to get hit by cars on their bike
ouch! you went where I didn't dare go so soon after recent events ...

·
New Guy
189 Posts
beaverbiker said:
I'm just keeping awareness alive
I hear yea man ... like the MrCrash said, we don't blame you. A lot of us escape to the woods so we don't have to deal with cars during the ride. If it means taking our cars there to do so then so be it.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
CharacterZero said:
I agree with you (and him, in theory).
I don't agree with the tone and content of his messages. He chose to let his emotions show thru in the post - which became more of a diatribe than a question.

The condemnation and disapproval of the actions of others outweighs the message.
I agree. Both OP's and firehorse's posts seemed more like attacks and rigid rejections of all other than their own way of doing things than helpful exhortation to be mindful of the environment. That sort of attitude makes me try to figure out how I can drive two cars to the trailhead, and strap a giant boombox to my handlebars so I can blast music while I roll down the trails.

I also agree with the sentiment to be mindful of the environment when you can. I try to carpool, and I've recently put together a cross bike that makes riding to the trails much more palatable.

Still, unless I've got several hours to spare, most of these "start from home" rides are spent on pavement, which isn't all that fun. Plus, almost all legal local trails are boring fire road. So if I want to really mountain bike, I generally drive to trails.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Props for the OP

I'm trying to drive as little as possible. partly because of the cost of gas, partly because of the cost of car ownership, and party because of the environmental cost. I'm workign toward locking my tools at my jobsite so I can ride to work (2miles, for now.) and I only drive to the trail head if I have my dog with me, since she's too stupid to heel on the right along skyline. When I'm not living in the hills anymore, which might be a year or two from now, I'll try to move somewhere where I can ride a lot more and maybe not even own a car....

Hey Mr. Crash - Tilden in a quick warm up from Berkeley, as is Redwood, J.Miller, Lake Chabot, etc. Don't go acting like there's nothing close enough for you to ride to the trail.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly

yep, exactly, I see folks with bikes on the car pass me on the way to PARK at the trailhead all the time... by the time I see them again, they are screwing around with their bikes and gear and cell phones and car and I pass by them and head onto the trailhead. What you wrote from my experience is not atypical but the norm around there. I ride from my house, up Nisene, to Demo, two laps and then back home via Nisene. If these folks spent more time riding and less time driving they would be stronger riders and have more experiences, better lives and less time spent in a car. The point I want to get across is that you do NOT HAVE to Drive your car to RIDE YOUR BIKE... you folks doing this got it backwards.

I have already seen the comments I knew I would get... oh, my area is not safe for bike riding on the streets. The perfect excuse that I will not comment on except say it is the best excuse you can give... and yes, it is an excuse.

fire horse said:
from Nisene-Demo-Highland-Summit-to Summit Store I came across 3 guys who had passed me a few miles earlier. They parked by the slide area on Highland and seemed to still be milling about; one guy dialing in his ipod, and the other 2 seemed to be sizing up the weather, and deciding if to ride or not (full suspension bikes still on vehicle, back packs buldging w Y2K supplies).

i rolled up to the slide area/road block on my rigid single speed, gave a "how's it goin?", (no response, blank stares) and kept rolling.

y recount this encounter? i know a lot of people don't live near a trail, and have various other reasons for driving to ride but it seems to me that too many people spend too much time pondering and get too cozy with their creature comforts and in the process, lose an opportunity for growth.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.