Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all,

I'm a newbie, so please be patient ...
My current ride is a 2007 Scott Reflex 20 Disc and I just LUV this machine ... urban, cross country, trail, all mountain with occasional drop/jump etc ...
The original bike comes with a RockShox Dart 2 fork with 100mm travel (as the specs claim). I'd like to upgrade the fork to a U-Turn design, preferably keeping the bicycle's balance. The choices I'm considering are: RockShox Recon U-Turn 351, Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn 160mm, RockShox Sektor RL U-Turn Coil 110-150mm. I know that Lyrik cost considerably more than the other two, but I found a deal on 1.5-in steerer tube version, which brings another question of fitting it to the frame (bearings, stem etc) ...

Please help me to make my mind

thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm riding more aggressively and trying higher drops, so yes I would like to try a fork with more travel (150mm as well) as long it won't compromise the overall balance of the bike. We're talking hard tail here ...

P.S. I don't want to end up with a "rabbit" bicycle being "hung like an elephant" at it's front end - I prefer function vs showing off

·
B A N N E D
5,379 Posts
You've got a XC bike with a 100mm fork, it probably came with that size fork for a good reason.
You could probably go to a maximum of 130mm but that'd be pushing the limits I reckon, 120mm might be a safer size. Contact Scott and see what they have to say.
A fork that's too big will void the frame warranty if you have any, it'll make the bike handle differently as the geometry is changed and it might end up giving you a busted headtube.

How big are the jumps and how high are the drops you're doing?
Maybe the bike you have isn't suited to the style of riding you're using it for?
Maybe a new bike is what you need instead of getting a new fork?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do recognize the logic of setting up a specific fork with that frame as Scott intended. Although I don't think the frame is under warranty I definitely do not want to bust the head tube or change the handling (I like it as it is).
It all comes down to the fact that I don't got the cabbage yet for Scott Ransom 30, so I wanna squeeze my trusty Reflex 20 to the max w/o trashing it. Anyhow, I'll check with Scott about upgrading to RockShox Recon 351 u-turn. This one appeals me with it's option to adjust the stiffness of the shocks with air instead of changing out the coils...

Thank you for the guidance :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
send an e-mail to Scott ... here's their reply:
"Running the fork all the way to 130mm of travel might be a bit excessive and make the bike handle slowly, but it should not otherwise be a problem."

As you said, 130mm is not gonna sit well on this frame. What decent 120mm fork can you recommend (that wouldn't brake the piggy bank as well)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts