Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Sedona next weekend and I've got two 4 hour blocks in the morning to ride. I'm looking for XC type rides with amazing views and intermediate difficulty. My lungs are probably good for about 20 miles each day.

I'm thinking West Sedona Tour and something else?

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,986 Posts
20 miles might be more than you realize in Sedona- I don't know you, but the majority of people underestimate how 'long' the miles are. Just saying, be prepared.
West Sedona is fun, really can't go wrong with anything in the Western Gateway or Cultural Park area. Girdner, Axis, Outer Limits, etc..

Don't discount Bell Rock area though- especially if you can ride mid-week so it's less busy. Park the "Little Horse" lot, and ride South down the Bell Rock Pathway, take HT trail to Slim Shady (disregard the black rating, its really not), cross under the hwy at the south end and work your way back north along Bell Rock Pathway to Easy Breezy which takes you back to HT, under the north bridge and to the Little Horse lot.
Or park at Bell Rock and start by riding up to Easy Breezy to HT, coming back on Slim Shady.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll be in Sedona next weekend and I've got two 4 hour blocks in the morning to ride. I'm looking for XC type rides with amazing views and intermediate difficulty. My lungs are probably good for about 20 miles each day.

I'm thinking West Sedona Tour and something else?
I looked up "West Sedona Tour" on MTB Project -- and assume that's where you got this. Be aware that there are some errors in that description. It says "In about a mile, you'll arrive at an intersection with Western Civilization Trail. This is along the north slope of the rock formation that is this trails namesake. Go left here and cross a new subdivision road." Western Civ trail no longer exists so just continue straight and you will cross the subdivision road. The rest of the description seems to be okay.

This loop is a fun choice. Enjoy.

-db-

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you hit west Sedona you should make your second ride revolve around slim shady and there are a number of ways to do it. That is probably the best Sedona style intermediate trail there because you get the sedona flavor mixed and lots of good options for looping...

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,986 Posts
If you hit west Sedona you should make your second ride revolve around slim shady and there are a number of ways to do it. That is probably the best Sedona style intermediate trail there because you get the sedona flavor mixed and lots of good options for looping...
I love Slim Shady, such a great trail.
Plus, if one gets feeling froggy, Made in the Shade is a quick diversion, works both ways and is very "On-brand Sedona" without the heavy consequences of any of the "H" trails.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out the Adobe Jack area. It's also a hiking area, so watch for hikers, but they are friendly and understanding in the area. Parking is right next to Highway 89A and you can get some fun miles in there. Like was mentioned above, Sedona miles hit different. 10 feels like 20.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,449 Posts
My fav loops, for details use Trailforks, but they are high traffic so I rarely ride them unless very early.

1. Chuck wagon to mezcal to aerie to the “snake trails”
2. Llama to Broken Arrow to Hog Wash to peccary

West Sedona has less traffic, but is becoming more popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good stuff guys. I'll be riding friday and saturday morning about 8-noon so not too worried about parking or congestion on the trails. I have to wrap it up early so I can hike in the afternoon with the girlfriend.

Speaking of that, would Bell Rock Trailhead be a good spot to ride one morning then hike in the afternoon? Really looking for vistas for the hike obviously.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good stuff guys. I'll be riding friday and saturday morning about 8-noon so not too worried about parking or congestion on the trails. I have to wrap it up early so I can hike in the afternoon with the girlfriend.

Speaking of that, would Bell Rock Trailhead be a good spot to ride one morning then hike in the afternoon? Really looking for vistas for the hike obviously.
Re. parking:
Some lots will be fine at 8am on a weekend, but some won't.
For example, the Dry Creek Vista Trailhead, which provides access to the popular Devils Bridge, usually has all its parking spots taken by 6:30am.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Re. parking:
Some lots will be fine at 8am on a weekend, but some won't.
For example, the Dry Creek Vista Trailhead, which provides access to the popular Devils Bridge, usually has all its parking spots taken by 6:30am.
I was going to post this ^^^. I know this isn't Springtime but when I ride in the Spring. even mid-week, Dry Creek, Cathedral, Little Horse and sometimes Yavapai Vista are all full if you don't get there by 7:30. Even now, I'd take no chances on a Saturday. The weather up this way has been purrrrrr-fect. I'll be headed up there tomorrow and guiding a ladies group out of Cultural Park on the Outer Limits loop....if they don't flake. If they do, I'll probably take a guy to Hangover that's itching to ride it.

@PTCbiker Yeah, you could park at Bell Rock in order to hike later but I'd park at Little Horse instead. You can go out Little Horse to Llama, ride Llama all the way around to Bell Rock Pathway (take the Singletrack Bypass) down to the lot. Cross the street and ride Slim Shady back up to the HT Trail which will go under the road (twice) and take you back to the pathway where you can go LEFT and back to the Little Horse parking lot. Then for your hike with the GF, you can hike back out Little Horse and go right past Llama out to Chicken Point, check out the White Line, and keep on moving on Broken Arrow out to Submarine Rock. Once you're up on top of Submarine Rock, you will have some of the best 360 degree vistas that exist on the planet. It's probably a little over 4 miles each way.

Reactions: M-80 Rider

·
Registered
Pivot Switchblade 29er
565 Posts

These are good options in my opinion:

For the West Sedona ride, I would park at the shooting range on FR 9589-B by the AZ Cypress trailhead. It's just southeast of where Dry Creek Road/Boynton Pass Road intersects with Long Canyon Road. Keeps you away from the masses of tourists. Take AZ Cypress, climb up Snake, left on Girdner, left on Chuckwagon, cross Dry Creek Road and continue on Chuckwagon, stay on Chuckwagon for the long route, staying right at the shortcut to Mescal, and then then left at the intersections that lead to Devils Bridge and Brins Mesa, cross Long Canyon Road, take the connector to Mescal, continue right on Mescal to Deadman's Pass, left on Deadman's Pass to Boynton Canyon trailhead, Aerie to the intersection with Cockscomb where you continue straight on Aerie around Doe Mountain back to Cockscomb, Cockscomb to the paved road crossing, continue on Cockscomb to Rupp, stay left on Cockscomb to the intersection with Dawa, Go right on Dawa and continue to AZ Cypress. Go left on AZ Cypress and continue back to where you parked at the shooting range.

For the ride/hike day, park by the Red Agave Resort somewhere on Canyon Circle Drive in the Village of Oak Creek. Take the trail that cuts through the resort grounds and connects to Slim Shady. Take Slim Shady a short distance, then turn hard right through the wash that takes you out to the Hwy 179 road crossing. Cross the highway and enter the Bell Rock Trailhead parking lot. Take the Big Park Loop clockwise over to Little Rock trail, go left on Little Rock trail and take it to the Rabbit Ears trail, go left on Rabbit Ears and take it back to the Big Park Loop, go left on the Big Park Loop and take it back to the parking lot, and then retrace your route to where you parked. Plenty of good hiking options from the same spot, some of which do lot allow mountain bikes. The ride is short, but packs a punch.

I will echo the advice already given here. Sedona miles are hard-earned compared to the vast majority of trails you'll encounter in the USA, at least in my experience. New England south to the mid-Atlantic are rather similar. Just something to consider. Many riders consider mileage and elevation gain in Sedona to be double what they're used to on their hometown trail systems. Neither of the two routes I'm suggesting are ever overly technical, but the relentless punchy climbs and ledgy rock moves can wear you out unless you're used to that type of riding. Gotta relax and not feel the need to attack every perceivably hard move. The traction is supreme here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice Jim, I'll be printing out that post and bring it on the ride as a roadmap of sorts. And I will not be trying to kill this ride, other than the downhills maybe. If a section looks sketchy I might walk it first and if I screw up something I'll reverse and do it again.

·
Registered
Pivot Switchblade 29er
565 Posts
Thanks for the advice Jim, I'll be printing out that post and bring it on the ride as a roadmap of sorts. And I will not be trying to kill this ride, other than the downhills maybe. If a section looks sketchy I might walk it first and if I screw up something I'll reverse and do it again.
You're welcome! If you use Trailforks with full subscription, all of these trails are mapped and easy to follow with a mobile device. AZ has adopted the app well, largely due to the efforts of local ambassadors. Both routes are still relatively easily navigated without anything other than notes and existing signage. Enjoy your visit!

·
Registered
Pivot Switchblade 29er
565 Posts
@PTCbiker Yeah, you could park at Bell Rock in order to hike later but I'd park at Little Horse instead. You can go out Little Horse to Llama, ride Llama all the way around to Bell Rock Pathway (take the Singletrack Bypass) down to the lot. Cross the street and ride Slim Shady back up to the HT Trail which will go under the road (twice) and take you back to the pathway where you can go LEFT and back to the Little Horse parking lot. Then for your hike with the GF, you can hike back out Little Horse and go right past Llama out to Chicken Point, check out the White Line, and keep on moving on Broken Arrow out to Submarine Rock. Once you're up on top of Submarine Rock, you will have some of the best 360 degree vistas that exist on the planet. It's probably a little over 4 miles each way.
Good advice here, as well. If not on a Sunday morning, you can park at the Sedona United Methodist Church parking lot at the the southeast corner of the Hwy 179 / Indian Cliffs Road roundabout and pedal a very short distance southbound toward the Little Horse trailhead with no crowds/hassle. They even have a setup where you can donate some funds for the parking if you wish, as it's a spot where locals can load up sandbags when the weather gets crazy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I will echo the advice already given here. Sedona miles are hard-earned compared to the vast majority of trails you'll encounter in the USA, at least in my experience. New England south to the mid-Atlantic are rather similar. Just something to consider. Many riders consider mileage and elevation gain in Sedona to be double what they're used to on their hometown trail systems.
I would tend to agree with this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was going to post this ^^^. I know this isn't Springtime but when I ride in the Spring. even mid-week, Dry Creek, Cathedral, Little Horse and sometimes Yavapai Vista are all full if you don't get there by 7:30. Even now, I'd take no chances on a Saturday.
When I drive past the road to Cathedral TH parking, these days there's almost always a sign that says "Lot Full." Frequently there's a human at the roundabout stopping people going there to park.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
When I drive past the road to Cathedral TH parking, these days there's almost always a sign that says "Lot Full." Frequently there's a human at the roundabout stopping people going there to park.
One weekend, they had two police officers working that roundabout

Reactions: M-80 Rider

·
No Clue Crew
7,359 Posts
I drove up this past Monday from Phx for a quickie. Did some less-traveled stuff — Ridge, Sketch, Slickrock, Herkenham, Scorpion, Pyramid, Skywalker. Zero bikers, couple zombie hikers, but, damn, traffic and parking were horrendous.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts