Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this email recently, but sorry, can't reply to your email account...

HI I am sorry to bother you, REALLY I AM, but I saw no other way. I
want to go single speed, but cannot decide between 29er or 26er. What
type of riding do you do on the 1x1, Trail, (with up downs and techy)
street urban. I want a single speed and maybe do some friendly racing.
Will the bike do well for this XC riding??? and Im not a weight weenie.
THANK-YOU, reply if you like if not sorry to bother you.
It's no problem at all!! It's a great bike that's definitely worth a spin. Any other Surly forum members reading, please provide some additional input here. Thanks!!

*Where are you from? Maybe there's a local rider who might be able to help you decide.

*What are you riding now?

*What are your reasons for both set-ups?

*What kind of budget are you looking at?

The bike's great for whatever you want to do with it. I have a mix of parts that allows me to use mine for all purposes. The only reason it got a bit heavier was due to recently ading Maxxis Minion DH tires, and the Hussefelt (Truvativ) crankset. I like the bike so much, i'm building up another, specifically aimed to be around 22-25lbs., which, if I was to switch back to some lighter tires/tubes, and the Stylo (Truvativ) singlespeed crankset, the older 1x1 would weigh. The bike builds up easily, and you can upgrade as you go, or spend all the cash you want in one fell swoop.

Yeah, I'm probably a bit biased in my reply, as I run a shop, and have the access to the best kit, but if you decide to run a singlespeed, whether 26" or 29", having a good idea of your budget, what you want the bike to do, and can decide for yourself, or work with a local shop that has a keen sense and riding experience in building it up, you'll do fine!!

The retail value of mine approaches the $3300.00usd range, due to a full custom build, with top end, strong, and lightweight parts, right down to my wheels, built by me. :thumbsup:

The average expense, if using mostly new kit, can be from around $1,200.00-$3650.00usd.
~You can save some money by shopping for closeout/clearance kits online, or locally. Using spare parts you have around, or parting out a bike you already have can also affect the budget.

If you want even more info, check out the Surly forum, specifically the "Post 1x1 pics" thread, here in MTBR.

:thumbsup:

Obi..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the help
Actually I asked another member and got a lot of help too.
In the end It is between Karate Monkey and 1 X 1
the 1x1 would be cheeper for me with extra parts I have aquired over time, but I dont have nearly as high of a budget. BUT I want this versitile bike to race and trail ride, this will be a XC bike and conditions around here are like everywhere else but MUD, not to crazy hills, mostly I ride a good blend or ups, downs, techy. And I am in shape so Im not too worried about SingleSpeed.
I have been reading tones on these bikes and they seem to have the same rating but the tire size.

To help
I live in Ontario Canada, and Loacal Bike Store Guys are full one way or the other and I wanted a more rounded opinion
Reason for set up, 1x1 if it will do equil to the KM, and Cost I dont have alot of money at once I wanted to upgrade and build as I do, But for the extra cost if the 29 is the better that I will bite it and do it i want no regrets and no problems
I am riding a Specalized Hardrock now, I actually dont shift much as it is, but I have never known anything other that this bike, my bike before this was a very bad geometry. This bike just is not lasting and the LBS mechanic said replace or rebuild.

Now one final Note, I understand the puglsy is a great sand, mud .. bike, how is she in your northern canada, forested, trails?? just woundering

Thanks, I really am thankfull

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually have both. I had a local bike shop build them both up over time. I actually started with the 1 x 1 and discovered the KM while I was coming up with money to do it. Each bike cost me around a $1000.00 (which is ALOT of money for me). I enjoy the KM more. I don't race and don't have near the time I use to to go off road like I use to....job, kids...etc...Most of my rides are to work (teacher), errands around town, rides with friends. Both are rigid and 16" frames. I'm 5 7' and about 145. I'm new to the whole singlespeed thang. They are different rides. I just have more fun on the KM. Don't know if this helps or not. I don't normally reply to anything but you sound like I did not to long ago. Either way you go I"m sure you'll be happy. Good luck.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Yeah I'm also trying to decide whether to buy a 1x1 framest. It's a big investment (for me).
I actually ordered one from webcyclery but had to cancel the order as they didnt have my size in the $299 for white frame deal.

How much abuse can you put onto these frames?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know. I haven't even taken mine out of the circle we live in! I just finished building it up in the late fall. I like the KM better so it sits around in our spare bedroom...pretty sad. I feel guilty. I did have a friend that raced a 1 x 1 for a while. He was a small guy like me so I don't how much abuse it really received. Good luck.

·
3,049 Posts
RustyBearings said:
How much abuse can you put onto these frames?
he

Surly's are pretty damn bulletproof. Don't hear of too many (any) durability issues.

I have a Monkey, and it's an awesome bike. For me, especially SS, big wheels rule. The tires are catching up fast, which is about the only substantive downside for 29ers right now (unless you want mondo travel). The Monkey will have the ability to run gears, an advantage over the 1x1.

The 1x1, on the other hand, has just about the most ridiculous tire clearance around. You can run up to a 2.2 29" wheel/tire in one, in fact, as well as 3" 26er tires. Not something most will ever use, but something to keep in mind.

If you've got 26" wheels and tires and like em, get a 1x1. If you're burning down the house to try big wheels, get the Monkey (try to ride a 9er first, that might solidify your opinion).

Both seem like good options. I'd love to build a green 1x1 as a snow bike with Marges and Gazz's, but don't need such a rig at all. Some day, perhaps.

Overall, my Surly has really been more than just the sum of it's numbers and parts.

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
297 Posts
Get the 1x1. The tire clearance is awesome. They even fit 29er wheels with Maxxis Ignitor 2.1's. If you run discs you can switch between fatty 26 and 29 wheels. There was a post somewhere discussing this and consensus was just get a longer fork on the front for real clearance between the crown and tread. The Instigator was the budget choice. I am working on getting a 1x1 and it will be 26 for a while because I am going cheapo on the build and picked up 4 nice new 26" rims on the bay for $35, and a set of new cantis and levers for $25. Both the Monkey and 1x1 will stand for some real abuse or use depending on your view.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nonracerrichie what you say about a 29 going into a the 1x1 is crazy, and I will keep that in mind now, and by the sounds of it we are in the same money boat. I want to build up over time but ride all that time while im building. Nonracerrichie, what kind or riding do you do on the 1x1. and r you planning on making it a 29er
Im now leaning to the 1x1 if it can do everything a SS is ment to do for less money than why not.

j.court you know both ends of what I am thinking, what exactly makes you like the KM more is it just the feel cant expalin it it just feels better? I like the KM i was almost going to get it, but then money came up and I have to make sure I am happy with the 29 being worth the extra costs, and if you narrowed it to these to bikes then ya exactly like you where not to long ago.

ionsmuse, I keeping hearing about the duribility of Surly bikes, and I had no Idea the tire clearance I have 2.5s on my current bike for the street and I love fat tires.

Thanks for all the helpfull replys, Im getting close to deciding so thanks

·
3,049 Posts
yoyokane said:
I had no Idea the tire clearance I have 2.5s on my current bike for the street and I love fat tires.
On that note I should mention that the tire clearance on the Monkey is about as good as one can get in a production bike. It'll fit the widest tire available currently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gears...

I know you say you are fine with a single speed but if you will only have one bike the KM might be the better choice for it's versitility. You can run it single or put on gears later if wanted/needed. That said my 1x1 is by far the best bike I have ever had, fits like a glove, and rides nicer than any other bike I have ridden.

(but I will admit that gears do come in a little handy every now and then, just don't tell my friends I said that ;-)

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madonenm said:
I know you say you are fine with a single speed but if you will only have one bike the KM might be the better choice for it's versitility. You can run it single or put on gears later if wanted/needed. That said my 1x1 is by far the best bike I have ever had, fits like a glove, and rides nicer than any other bike I have ridden.

(but I will admit that gears do come in a little handy every now and then, just don't tell my friends I said that ;-)
Quick and easy solution to that...

Derailleur tugset, and if you've hydros, using the existing cable stops, and flipping the canti-stop that comes with the seatpost clamp upside down will give you the ability to run both front and rear mechs. Be sure you use a freehub set-up versus a singlespeed specific rear hub. That, or machine down the driveside of the bottombracket to about a .001" to where the welds stop, and run a chainguide, with gears out back. Rear mech using a solid/closed housing with the housing taped/ziptied to the tubes. I'll get a pic next time he's in. :thumbsup:

~Did this for a clients 1x1 so he'd have gears to play with. Out of the two options, the flipped cantistop was the better of the two for him, as he wanted a 2x8 set-up, but if you're good with just 7,8, or 9 out back, rock it.

I'm still waiting for the day that Surly just goes ahead and turns the 1x1 into a gearable bike with drops like the Monkey, and includes a seattube stop for a front mech.

They could call it a "1xSome". :D

*The tugs are from Revell, but there's others out there. On these, we needed to shave around 1mm from the tops to get 'em to clear the top part of the track dropouts.

Attachments

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
297 Posts
Hey OBI thanks for the post on that chaintug hangar. Get's my wheels (the poorly greased one's in my head turning) I may pick up a set of those in the future and run 1x5 or 4 on a Hope SS or similar. But for now one is all....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Me too...

obionespeedonly said:
Quick and easy solution to that...

I'm still waiting for the day that Surly just goes ahead and turns the 1x1 into a gearable bike with drops like the Monkey, and includes a seattube stop for a front mech.

They could call it a "1xSome". :D
If they did that all my bikes would be Surly... ;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow
with the tugs and the 29 option, this bike became a bike that I could build in ANY way I feel the need with out breaking the bank every change,
wow thanks guys for all the great info
I love the tug drop-out that is amazing to me.
and I have been reading over the 29 posts, I still cannot believe it, yous guys is crazy

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yoyokane said:
yous guys is crazy
Not really, that or they havn't been able to prove it yet! :p :D

When it boils down to it, we're all a bunch of "Bike Geeks". Look at it like this, in what other sport can you not only ride the product that the pros ride, but also the same trails, etc?? Even above that, think for a minute of what some of us do career wise, well excluding my "corporate dropout/business educated" self, and in what fields. I deal daily with anyone from the local day laborer, to people who work at the Livermore and Stanford Labs!! We all love bikes, and are always cool with providing a bit of help and direction.

Because , why??

The MTBR Surly Forum Crew Rules!!

Always glad to help out. Someday I may ask you for a favor.

Sorry, can't find the Marlon Brando Soundboard. :p :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is the best reply I have ever read on a forum. At and on other forums I got insulted and afraid to post, but Actually untill now this surly post, I thought to give up on forums, but had to break down when this post started
And I have gotten a wealth of infor from you guys, I am still amazed.
I see all the pros and cons to both the KM and 1X1 and all I can say is thanks

After all the reading I am actually thinking no mater what Im getting a surly,
and Im thinking 1x1, although the KM sounds amazing, I think the 1x1's may have won over, especialy after the lug drop out and 29 mod. I will be able to do all the messing I could want and be able to do it over time, because I really dont have the money to do big things all at once. This will be fun. AND al that can be done on the KM can be done on the 1x1.

THanks I will keep reading I did not even know this forum of just surlys existed

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awwww, thanks!!

Copy of what I just sent Francis and Gregg:

Link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=261066

Please don't misinterpret this as me patting myself/ourselves on the back. I wanted to again thank you (Gregg, Francis) for giving us the Surly Forum, and, well, letting us have things a bit "off" as far as the other forums and forum sites.

;) Really, where else can we get away with having Kris Baughman post a set about his new 700c commuter/play bike, and a few weeks later have the enclosed post-set (link) convert not just someone over to riding a Surly, but to remaining in the forums, and looking beyond the inferred, or blatant, however you look at it, abrasiveness that sometimes drives people away. I know I sometimes come off a bit strong, but as always, appreciate myself just what you've given us here. :thumbsup:

Obi..

Man, maybe I am in some way living up to my nickname. :p
These are the guys we all should really be thanking. Without them, I and others wouldn't be here.

Again, awww, thanks, glad to be there for you!! Oh yeah, I expect and hope to be hearing more from you here in our little place that's home away from home, err, rather at home typing, err, away from the trails... ;) Haaa-haa-hahahaaa...you get it.

:thumbsup: Obi

·
Registered
100 Posts
yoyokane- I have 2 1x1's and they are great. If you run disc brakes 29'er wheels will fit easy. I fun my green 1x1 in many forms. Full 29'er, 26" wheels w/ big fat 2.6 tires when the weather is horrible and my favorite is 96'er w/ a 29" front wheel and 26" rear. I know the 29'er crowd gets rowdy of the 96 idea but for my trails in NC it is actually very nice. My 29'er, yes I have a Rig, gets ridden on the more epic stuff that rolls better, but the singletrack in my town is tight so the 96 works great, plus I the 26" wheels with a 2.1 in the back and a 2.6 in the front is great as well. Long story short the 1x1 is so versitile it will really do anything. It is like having a Pugsly(being able to run huge tires), a Karate Monkey(29'er wheels will fit up to 2.2) and the 96'er option all with the stock fork is just insane. I love it. I have 2 of them and 1 Rig and the 1x1's are always being ridden first, so much that I may just donate the Rig to my brother!

·
Registered
34 Posts
BigRingBash thanks for the reply sounds like you speek from experience

that makes me feel good hearing, cuz sounds like I can have some fun frankenstineing this bike.
I cannot believe all that can be done with just 1 frame, its crazy, the LBS guys where trying to sell me on some other junk, but this is the frame for me.
Now I dont fully get why I would want a 96er but I will start looking into the advantages of that, but still to have that option rocks. Im thinking it has the rolling of a 29er and the handleing of a 26er. I tell ya money is tight and i was nervous but sound like this will be the last frame I buy, and that make me very very happy.
Thanks
I will be ordering it this week I hope,
man im getting very excited, and with a post reply like this i cannot wait

peace:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.