Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jumper
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have some riders post their positive and negative pressures along with their weights on their dual air forks. I seem to have mine dialed in but it just seems way to low on the charts. Yes, I know RS' charts are bit high anyways but just seems really low.
My weight= 185
Pos pressure= 90
Neg pressure= 88
Rebound damp= 25%

With these setings it seems really plush but seems to use 90% of its travel on just 1-2 ft drops. If I raise it to pos 100 and neg 95 it seems to bump off of rocks instead of absorbing them keeping the tire on the ground.
P.S. RS recommends my pressures to be 135psi.
Thanks in advance

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
jumper, as you probably remember, I have the same fork model as yours. RS recommendations on this fork have always been way off IMO. I'm 185 too, but I run 85+ and 75- pressures. I run the compression wide open and don't recall the exact rebound number. I love this fork. It has great small bump compliance while also providing great big hit performance for me. I'm running it on a 4" rear Trek Fuel now, but it's fixing to go on a new Stumpjumper FSR. It's one of the best 5" forks I've ridden, and you know I get to ride a few. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is some speed sensitivity to the damper or not...meaning the harder you ride it, the more the compression reacts accordingly. The 90% travel you get off those 2' drops might go up incrementally as you push the bike harder or the drops get bigger. That said, you can play with the compression if you feel you're blowing through too much travel too easily, but in my case, I lose too much small bump compliance...but people are different, so it's worth a try. I've been riding this fork much the same way out at Buck Creek as I do my 160 Nixon or 66SL, so I don't think I'm babying it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well don't know if my figures are going to be as useful to you as i'm quite light, but i weigh in at about 115lb, pos=70, neg=75, rebound=50%. This configuration feels plush but i do feel that sometimes i bounce off bigger hits (i think that's called deflection yeah?) but im sure that's because i have my rebound set too low for the bigger hits - going to try around 80% rebound damping.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've done a lot of experimenting over 2 years with my Revalations. I'm closer to 200lbs riding weight, but I used to run 95+ 85-

I ran it like this for ages and then realised that I had very poor small bump response and started playing around with other setups. In amongst this I discovered that the original shock pump was giving very inaccurate readings, so I learnt to disregard the numbers with respect to any reference information and just use the gauge for repeatability in set up.

My second Revelation had the Push Factory Tune and this just did not want to work with 95+85-. I had to think again. I did a lot of experimenting with equal positive and negative and then went for fine tuning the small bump feel with negative pressures higher than positive. I've ended up with something like 115+ 120- and I think this is a huge step better than the original 95+ 85- I was running. The feel is much more active. There is more grip and more comfort.

My word of warning is that running negative higher than positive takes a bit of practice to be accurate and repeatable... and don't believe anyone who says you can't run the negative higher than the positive because the fork sucks down - there is a bit more to it than that which I documented in this thread

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I'm 175 and just built up a Heckler with a Rev. I'm in the proccess of experimenting with pressures. I beleive I'm in the 90 lb range pos - neg when I left off. I'm just working with sag right now (25 - 30mm) and I won't know for sure what works untill I get ott on the trail, to dial it in.

I'm interested in what pressures others may be running.

I'm loooking forward to my new ride with the Revelation and the Pushed float on the rear of the Heckler, it should be plush.

·
Jumper
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info. I feel pretty good about my settings now. I wonder why so many people using this fork use such high rebound. I mean, i read on the specialized site that the front forks rebound should be relatively quick due to the terrain and not packing up, unlike the rear which is generally 50% depending on the terrain. Anyways, I am running 25% on my fork and it seems fine. Here is the link http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/suspensionsetup/main.html?x=y
Hey, TNC thanks for the response. I hope things are still going good up in Abilene. I congratulated Jim a few weeks ago on the bike shop winning MTBRs Bike Shop of the Year. Great Job!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, it's still good here. Buck Creek is still going strong with new tweaks here and there occasionally. I just rode that Trek Fuel with my Revelation on front out there this evening. Your post prompted me to really check my pressures before the ride, do some measurements, and really pay attention to the trail performance out there. I don't know if I've ever really felt this fork bottom out, but when I finished today, my measurements showed 5" of travel. For a real bottomout, it looks like the fork has to achieve or exceed 5.1". Unless air pressure is set unusually low, this probably isn't going to happen. I like this fork so much, I'm putting it on a new ''08 Stumpjumper FSR that I ordered yesterday. I believe I'll prefer it to the Fox 120 Float that comes on it. Nothing really wrong with the Fox, but this Rev reallly seems to do it for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.