Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I sure hope someone out there can help me out. I'm trying to help a bro out by rebuilding his 02 junior-t which actually came apart last weekend (lowers and internals just popped off the sanctions). We think that the lock-rings (which look weird and I've been told are outside diameter lock-rings) used to hold the lowers on popped off, so we have aquired some new ones that obviously are inside diameter lock-rings.

I have checked the Marzocchi website, downloaded the 40 page owners manual for that year, but still no dice. Can you believe 40 pages and no exploaded diagram(s) of how all the internals fit together inside the fork. Stupid!! My Super-T is easy to work on and understand compared to this fork. Does anyone out there have any info that could help me out? Thanks. Ride On, bros!

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
HappyStinkyDude said:
Hey, I sure hope someone out there can help me out. I'm trying to help a bro out by rebuilding his 02 junior-t which actually came apart last weekend (lowers and internals just popped off the sanctions). We think that the lock-rings (which look weird and I've been told are outside diameter lock-rings) used to hold the lowers on popped off, so we have aquired some new ones that obviously are inside diameter lock-rings.

I have checked the Marzocchi website, downloaded the 40 page owners manual for that year, but still no dice. Can you believe 40 pages and no exploaded diagram(s) of how all the internals fit together inside the fork. Stupid!! My Super-T is easy to work on and understand compared to this fork. Does anyone out there have any info that could help me out? Thanks. Ride On, bros!
WARNING Did you take off the bolts that hold rim brakes? That holds the fork together

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
If I recall...

HappyStinkyDude said:

Those lowers and stanchions are held together by the inner snap rings located inside the bottom end of the stanchions. I have an '02 Jr.T that I converted to Super T carts a long time ago. I'm surprised that both of those snap rings would come loose at relatively the same time to allow the lowers to just drop off. As you probably noticed on your Super T, there are only two small circlips attached to the HSCV carts at the top cap holding the stanchions and lowers together, yet these are more than adequate. I would think that the two large inner snap rings at the bottom of the Jr.T stanchions would be even stronger, but I'm no engineer. And as I understand it, the footnuts at the bottom of the lowers didn't come off, right? It sounds to me like someone may have been working on this fork and failed to assemble it correctly, but from this distance over the internet, my x-ray vision isn't adequate...LOL! :D

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
Oooooh!

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
WARNING Did you take off the bolts that hold rim brakes? That holds the fork together
I took it from the text of his post that he was talking about the separation of the lowers and stanchions in the "normal" mannner, but you bring up that aspect of the cryo arch design that existed in '02 that could definitely be another possibitity. Yeah, lots of people don't realize that those bolts or brake posts aided in keeping those three part lowers together.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
No, no... the lowers and m-arch are still together. The rim brake mounting posts have been replaced with the simple no-post bolt that holds them together.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TNC said:
Those lowers and stanchions are held together by the inner snap rings located inside the bottom end of the stanchions. I have an '02 Jr.T that I converted to Super T carts a long time ago. I'm surprised that both of those snap rings would come loose at relatively the same time to allow the lowers to just drop off. As you probably noticed on your Super T, there are only two small circlips attached to the HSCV carts at the top cap holding the stanchions and lowers together, yet these are more than adequate. I would think that the two large inner snap rings at the bottom of the Jr.T stanchions would be even stronger, but I'm no engineer. And as I understand it, the footnuts at the bottom of the lowers didn't come off, right? It sounds to me like someone may have been working on this fork and failed to assemble it correctly, but from this distance over the internet, my x-ray vision isn't adequate...LOL! :D
Yeah, you nailed it. My bro did buy the fork used and I think the last owner had failed to assemble it properly. Just a good thing it came apart in the parking lot and not on the trail! The foot bolts do actually seperate from the lowers because they are located on the bottom of one of the internal parts (want to say "cartridge", but since this is a Junior-T!?)
No, I just need more info on the order of the internals going back in...I know there are two springs per leg with a flat washer (with small hole) in between them. Then there are two small metal cylinders (about 1 1/2" long, diameter close to a dime) , two bigger plastic cylinders, and two plastic washers with a recessed edge that seems to fit with the smaller metal cylinders. Confused? I know I am.

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
Does this help?

HappyStinkyDude said:
Yeah, you nailed it. My bro did buy the fork used and I think the last owner had failed to assemble it properly. Just a good thing it came apart in the parking lot and not on the trail! The foot bolts do actually seperate from the lowers because they are located on the bottom of one of the internal parts (want to say "cartridge", but since this is a Junior-T!?)
No, I just need more info on the order of the internals going back in...I know there are two springs per leg with a flat washer (with small hole) in between them. Then there are two small metal cylinders (about 1 1/2" long, diameter close to a dime) , two bigger plastic cylinders, and two plastic washers with a recessed edge that seems to fit with the smaller metal cylinders. Confused? I know I am.
I dug out my old Jr.T internals. It's been awhile, and I'm not sure I recall the function of that part that is out of sequence up near the top cap. There were two in a sealed plastic bag with the Jr.T parts and might not actually go with this...too much time and tequila damage. The other parts are in order.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts