Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Cool bike from a vintage standpoint. Creat if you're into refurbishing near-antiques (I think it's fun) but it can be a lot of work.

How much passion do you have for rebuilding old stuff? I've done dozens of refurbs on old bikes like this and it's a four-hour + job. Most likely, it's going to need new:
Tires
Tubes
Chain
Cassette
Brake pads
Brake and shift cables & housing
Grips

Do you have hub, headset, and bottom bracket wrenches? You will need those to overhaul the bearings to make it functional again.

Do you know if the suspension in the fork is functioning?

Even in tip-top shape, this bike is going to be little more than a stylish utilitarian hybrid. Great for grocery runs and getting some cardio, but not reliable or fun on trails.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Peugeot actually used to make quite good frames. By good, I mean they were solid quality, reasonable weight, and rode as well as anything else out there. I might do something funky with it, like single speed it with a rigid fork. Unfortunately, I really can’t tell you much about that model, other than whether it’s been ridden much or not, it’s probably going to need a lot of work just because of the age. I don’t think the brand has been available in the US since the late 80’s.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The biggest question is... "How much?"

People with old bikes on CL like to call them "Vintage" or "Rare" and ask a high price. IMHO, anything over $25.00 would be ridiculous. This is the kind of bike that you clean up, get in satisfactory working order and give to someone who can't afford anything.

If it is over $50.00, find something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked her up this morning. Fairly light bike and only thing I know about it's history is it's been sitting for years. Tires hold air and not dry rotted. Its a Canadian bike per the made in Canada sticker. Now I'm thinking late 90s bike? Came with new pedals and grips. After I clean her up and a tune-up I'll post more pics.

Attachments

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Doesn't look bad. I'd take some sandpaper and white nail polish to the rust on the frame, and get some Winks rust remover from walmart and work a brush over the cassette etc.

Get those bar ends about 90 degrees forward :thumbsup

The fact it still has reflectors and an uncracked dork disc tells me it is cherry!! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those bar ends brought me back to 2000 when I rode my brothers rhino mtb with bar ends. they will be the first to go. I will say with the bar ends pointing straight up it was actually a comfortable ride almost felt like a cruiser sitting so upright(had to test ride as is lmao) thanks for the idea of white nail polish and sandpaper as I have another white Peugeot road bike and a old white free spirit that needs small touch ups and was contemplating how to paint those little spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here she is all cleaned up. Gears and brakes adjusted.new pedals on. Shifts awesome! I noticed tires even still have the little rubber "hairs" on them. Looking at serial number it ends in 98. I'm thinking 1998 model???

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What gives? You took off the bar ends but left the reflectors and dork disc? Looking good though
ALL of my bikes have their reflectors and dork. I do 95% night riding so all reflectors are a must. Just did a 30 min ride and my verdict is it's basically like my Peugeot road bike not very comfortable but VERY stiff and nimble and easy to manuever. Is the stem on this bike able to be raised? I loosened hex bolt on the stem but stem didn't move. Oh and paid $25 for this beast

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.