Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 giant dh comp and i'm getting some really bad creaking coming from the linkages somewhere i can't tell exactly where it is i have listened closely and tried to figure out where it it coming from it could be the bearings or maybe something is bent although i don't think that is the case but it's really loud and i only hear it when the rear shock compresses even the tiniest bit of compression causes it to make this horrible noise and even when i ride trails i hear it squeaking it annoys the hell out of me i would be thrilled if anyone had some suggestions

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
dh4life6969 said:
I have a 2002 giant dh comp and i'm getting some really bad creaking coming from the linkages somewhere i can't tell exactly where it is i have listened closely and tried to figure out where it it coming from it could be the bearings or maybe something is bent although i don't think that is the case but it's really loud and i only hear it when the rear shock compresses even the tiniest bit of compression causes it to make this horrible noise and even when i ride trails i hear it squeaking it annoys the hell out of me i would be thrilled if anyone had some suggestions
the raceway of the bearing could be bent and is causeing the bearings to scratch againts it?

the shock is f*cked

your too fat and are bending the metal

crack in the chainstays (metal on metal creak?) is rubbing

bearings are underlubed and is causeing the raceways to move in the housing?

these are possibilities although im pretty much taing a stab in the dark here as ive never had this problem

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you no i'm only 150lbs so it's not the weight i think it is a problem with the bearings there are so many berings i don know which one is making the noise i ordered a new bearing kit hopefully that may work but if not ill probably have to buy new bearing races too hmm....

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
dh4life6969 said:
That was the LONGEST run on sentence I've ever read.
Seriously though, I have no idea what's making noise on your bike. And that being so, I am absolutly no help to you at all. Good luck.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The top caps are like dust caps, the real bolts for the linkages are underneath them. Pull everything out, wrap in PTFE plumbers tape or cover it in loc-tite. Torque back to spec. If the bearings felt gritty, press them out and replace them. Check the shock bushings and make sure that there's no play. Make sure it's not coming from your seatpost (grease the seat tube) or your rails (tighten the seatpost bolts/grease your rails). Also check the chainring bolt torque (loose bolts creak like crazy). As suggested, inspect for any cracks or metal on metal contact.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i just took my bike apart i checked all my bearings. It's not the bearings the creaking is coming from i think the shock. My shock seems to be working alright could the creaking be coming from the bushings where the bolt goes through the eyelet of the shock or am i gonna need a new shock?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
dh4life6969 said:
ok i just took my bike apart i checked all my bearings. It's not the bearings the creaking is coming from i think the shock. My shock seems to be working alright could the creaking be coming from the bushings where the bolt goes through the eyelet of the shock or am i gonna need a new shock?
you can replace the bushings....it is probably bent anyway along with the bolt and spacers

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
free rider said:
ya, at night when hes sleeping it likes to creak as loud as it can to wake people up.

that was a dumb question :nonod:...sorry
We can only assume he was referring to compressing the shock without sitting on the bike or riding it. Not a dumb question at all.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
FrontRanger said:
We can only assume he was referring to compressing the shock without sitting on the bike or riding it. Not a dumb question at all.
ya, i got that part. I was merely calling him out on the question itself. by him saying does it creak when your off the bike he meant while he is putting force on the bike but he didnt not say that by him saying when you are off the bike the question reffered to anytime when dh4life is not on the bike, making when it is in the garage and when everybody is sleeping fair game...i just called out his error

just incase you were dumb enough to take my sarcastic response seriously

sorry:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.