Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got Elixir CRs which have a pretty straightforward set of installation instructions. However, I can't get the drag adjusted out of either the front or rear.For one thing, there is practically no space between the rotor and pads even with the barrel adjuster turned all the way out and the pistons fully retracted. Are there any tricks out there to get rid of the drag?
Thanks for your help!

·
BMF
593 Posts
When you write "no space between rotor and pads" do you mean both pads, or on one side? If one side, which side? If the pistons are truly retracted fully there has to be space unless your pads are installed incorrectly. I just set up my Elixir CR yesterday and didn't have this issue - I had to use the included spacers to get the caliper centered. Which mount are you using?

A dumb question maybe, but is the "spring" between the pads installed correct? Without that your pads may drag even if the pistons retract.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take your caliper off the bike and use the pad spreading tool to open the gap as much as possible. As you are replacing the caliper, take two business cards and use them so they are wedged between the rotor and the pads. Tighten everything up and give the lever several good pumps. Remove the business card, reset your caliper for proper clearance, then ride off drag free! (hopefully):thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help and replies,

i got the brakes adjusted well by pushing the pads out and then bleeding them with the barrel adjuster turned all the way out. Then turned the adjuster in enough to have the pads engage. Powerful brakes without any drag. Thanks again,

peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.