Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
lover of trees
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help with El Salty setup.

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm live in the east coast and am now a soon to be Ventana owner. I am in the process buying TJ's 04' red 17" Mountain Jumper.

I now have the task of building it! I'm 5' 7.5", 150lbs w/gear, and a 30" standover height.
I was recommended a 100mm stem with a 5deg. rise for this rig w/my geometry.
I have an 04 Marzocchi Marathon SL that I will be putting on it. I will be using this thread to figure out what to get, etc.

Cheers,
Mike

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,810 Posts
I would sell that fork on ebay and buy either the Marathon XC or a Fox Vanilla. Wheels - if you have the money which I'm sure you do since you bought a Ventana then go with King hubs built up with Mavic 717s. I'd gone with XT drive train since it's tried and trusted by many. Easton EA-70 bars rule.

xc_xtc said:
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm live in the east coast and am now a soon to be Ventana owner. I am in the process buying TJ's 04' red 17" Mountain Jumper.

I now have the task of building it! I'm 5' 7.5", 150lbs w/gear, and a 30" standover height.
I was recommended a 100mm stem with a 5deg. rise for this rig w/my geometry.
I have an 04 Marzocchi Marathon SL that I will be putting on it. I will be using this thread to figure out what to get, etc.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
100mm fox = twitchy

mtnbiker4life said:
I would sell that fork on ebay and buy either the Marathon XC or a Fox Vanilla. Wheels - if you have the money which I'm sure you do since you bought a Ventana then go with King hubs built up with Mavic 717s. I'd gone with XT drive train since it's tried and trusted by many. Easton EA-70 bars rule.
I personally feel that the short A-C of Fox forks at 100mm makes the Salty a little too steep and twitchy. The Marz fork will be taller and may feel better.

That being said, my fork is a PUSHed Float, but set up at 115mm. That little extra bit of A-to-C makes a big difference to me.

op

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.