Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.. I am looking for some advice. I am very new to mountain biking in general as I started riding a bike this spring after quitting smoking for 15 years. After getting bored with the local bike path where I live (Amsterdam, NY area) I have researched and found all this kick a$$ mountain biking stuff I didn't know existed, singletrack and etc. looks awesome and definitely something I want to get into. I have been riding about 6-10 miles 2-3 times a week since March on local bike path. I can not find any local singletrack type trails. I have asked the local bike shop in Johnstown and they don’t even know of anything local. I am starting to realize I need to travel about an hour to
get to anything I think I might be looking for. But info on trails is sort of hard to come by. From what I have found so far, it seems my choices are as follows: Grafton/Pittstown, Skidmore, or trails off of Town of Colonie bike path. That last choice sounds a little scary as I have read reviews of gun toting pricks chasing riders. Any way, I am no slouch and wood like to get into it a little harder, I just don’t know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I’d be willing to meet with someone to check out some trail if anyone wouldn’t mind.

Thanks again

Randy

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm from Schenectady (actually moving to Wilton this weekend though) and theres lots of good places to ride in this area. Pittstown/Grafton would be quite a hike for you, I highly reccomend the trails off the bike path. Theres actually 3 different areas there, Lock 7 (Niskayuna), The Pitts (Colonie) and the colonie town park. I ride all three regularly and haven't had a problem in almost 3 years now.

I think some of the best technical riding in the area is at The Stables (Skidmore). They are maintained by the saratoga mountain bike association, they have lots of group rides there , for more info check out www.saratogamtb.org. They are also holding an MTB event on May 22nd that I would reccomend if you are interested in checking out the trails, theres been a post about it in the NY forum a few weeks ago. (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97480)

I can get you directions to any of these trails if you want, just email me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goddy said:
I'm from Schenectady (actually moving to Wilton this weekend though) and theres lots of good places to ride in this area. Pittstown/Grafton would be quite a hike for you, I highly reccomend the trails off the bike path. Theres actually 3 different areas there, Lock 7 (Niskayuna), The Pitts (Colonie) and the colonie town park. I ride all three regularly and haven't had a problem in almost 3 years now.

I think some of the best technical riding in the area is at The Stables (Skidmore). They are maintained by the saratoga mountain bike association, they have lots of group rides there , for more info check out www.saratogamtb.org. They are also holding an MTB event on May 22nd that I would reccomend if you are interested in checking out the trails, theres been a post about it in the NY forum a few weeks ago. (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=97480)

I can get you directions to any of these trails if you want, just email me.
Thanks for the info.
I read about that MTB event at skidmore and would love to go, I just don't think I'll be in very good shape that day. My band is playing Northern Lights the night before, so I probably won't be able to get up in time.

I know where to go to get to the Colonie Town Park, but which way do I go on the bike pathe to find these trails?
Also, what's the best way to get to the lock7 trails or "The Pitts".

Thanks again.

Randy

·
Registered
305 Posts
Local club rides...

Hey, check the ride calendar of MHCC at http://webmhcc.org/v-web/portal/cms/index.php
if you ever want to check out Grafton. There are rides there Wed (faster, usually goes from Grafton to Pittstown Singletrack and back or visa versa), Fri (slower/meduim pace) and Sunday (same as Friday). There are also a few club rides on other locations.

We also do a monthly mtb. clinic, with one being tonight at a members property in Wynantskill, NY. We also have a pretty technical 5 mile time trial loop on the property that has a little bit of everything for you to practice on. In August, we usually do a fun time trail on the course.

Hope that helps! - Jim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.