Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a new pike fork which has about 5 to 8mm of top out (slop) at full travel. I've read a lot of reviews and there is no mention of this problem. Surely this can't be normal?
I've also searched this forum, and there is a few posts about it, but no fix?
My settings on the fork are:
70psi
8 clicks of rebound
4 clicks lsc
I'm 75kg
So, can pike owners please tell me if theirs do this.
Cheers

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Funny you should ask, I just sent my new pike back to hopefully be fixed under warranty. I at first thought it was the bushings, but after fiddling with it some more, I think it is indeed top out. What symptoms does your Pike display? Mine has a knock/clunk when riding, especially while climbing and pulling upwards on the bars. Not a headset issue, checked that a half dozen times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Did either of you check the oil levels in your forks? So far I've heard, well honestly, basically no complaints about this fork, just praise. Fox was/is notorious for sending out forks with low oil levels and this sounds like maybe that is the case, that maybe the dampers oil level is off or it has in air. Guess the damper now being a closed system the easier thing to do would be to send it back to RS.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
A small amount is normal for this fork and has been gone over thoroughly in the Pike thread (yeah, I know it's a long read but it's all in there).

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
A few of my friends have gotten rid of the top out noise/feeling by topping off the damper oil level. It has been present in almost every Pike/Lyrik I have put my hands on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A small amount is normal for this fork and has been gone over thoroughly in the Pike thread (yeah, I know it's a long read but it's all in there).

Have FUN!

G MAN
Yeah G MAN, I did read the hole Pike thread but there was no clear answer to the problem.
I can't believe in all the reviews for this fork there is no mention of this?
How can a fork get 10/10 in a review with this problem?
I did do a oil service (didn't touch the charger damper) and it's still the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did either of you check the oil levels in your forks? So far I've heard, well honestly, basically no complaints about this fork, just praise. Fox was/is notorious for sending out forks with low oil levels and this sounds like maybe that is the case, that maybe the dampers oil level is off or it has in air. Guess the damper now being a closed system the easier thing to do would be to send it back to RS.

Yep same problem. When you lift the bars you can feel the end play (clunk) in the forks.
If I hold the front wheel down and lift the bars up and down there is about 10mm of travel that isn't pressurised.

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Hmm that is what I'm afraid SRAM is going to come back with, "its normal." Yes, but how much play? To me, its not acceptable to be constantly feeling a clunking from a $1000 fork. I generally don't pay much attention to suspension subtleties, as I'm more of a set and forget type rider, but this is driving me bonkers.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
You shouldn't notice it while riding! If you do then try removing the air cap, compressing and then forcefully extending the fork to equalize the negative and positive chambers. Also, FWIW, the 10mm of slop is usable when you go off drops or jumps (or unweight the fork) - the damper IS STILL WORKING for that travel. It's a way of getting more supple initial stroke action out of an air fork!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
You shouldn't notice it while riding! If you do then try removing the air cap, compressing and then forcefully extending the fork to equalize the negative and positive chambers. Also, FWIW, the 10mm of slop is usable when you go off drops or jumps (or unweight the fork) - the damper IS STILL WORKING for that travel. It's a way of getting more supple initial stroke action out of an air fork!

Have FUN!

G MAN
Thanks Gman! I had poked around through the Pike thread a bit but never saw this mentioned. I'm still keen to hear what sram has to say, but sounds like it won't be the end of the world if they deny my warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Thanks Gman! I had poked around through the Pike thread a bit but never saw this mentioned. I'm still keen to hear what sram has to say, but sounds like it won't be the end of the world if they deny my warranty claim.
Resurrecting this thread...

Any word, gbug? How this kind of sloppy feeling is dubbed "normal" is beyond me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi to all.

My 160 rct3 started to exhibit the same problem: clunk at full extension and ~10mm dead travel.
Did the bleed on the cartridge, it got better but problem still remained.
Stripped down the air chamber: the bypass slot was full of the buttery stuff the rockshox puts on the air piston. Cleaned everything, putted a small amount of suspension fluid on the air chamber, problem solved!
So, in my case, the negative and positive chamber were not equalizing pressures due to the bypass slot being obstructed. The slop/clunk was due to too much pressure on the negative chamber.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, ive also noticed it on my 2014 pike... About 5-8 mm slop from the top of the travel.. But i dont have any clunking noise..
I removed the lower leg and cleaned , reoiled the lower leg . Found the negative air chamber was compressed more then half the tube. Which made it hard to compress the lower leg enough to start the bolt at the bottom. Removed the lower leg again.
So i removed that negative air chamber snap ring and pulled it high enough to install the lower legs. Rock shock manual states this has to be fully extended when reinstalling the snap ring for the negative chamber , unfortunately i didnt read that part till after i had the fork back together.
And i think thats why its not getting full travel at around 70psi. The negative chamber has to high of a vacuum. Im gonna remove the lower leg again this weekend and see if it fixes it .

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
The Pike-equipped bike I rented in Whistler a month and a half ago did the exact same thing. Thank Christ my own Pike isn't doing it. Both 160mm. Both Norco Ranges.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Make sure you do a service if you are having any issues. I just took mine apart and found way too much Sram Butter in the air chamber, probably clogging the equalization port and causing the slop at the end of travel. I am waiting on a bleed kit before I can put the whole fork back together, but I've re-assembled the air chamber and it seems the slop is gone.

I also discovered I have one of the defective seals at the bottom of my damping leg; when I pulled the lower legs, damping oil poured out along the damping rod before I had even started taking apart the chamber. It is likely that air was sucked in to the charger and that's why my lockout quit working. The new seal kits supposedly have an updated seal to solve the issue.

Looking down the air chamber (upper left leg) at the top of the piston head
vWsTwyK.jpg

Air piston head
v26hEDa.jpg

Air piston head
84HMJEK.jpg

Here's the tiny little port (squarish looking divot on the leftish bottom side of the tube)
amJhNDF.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts