Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to test drive either the L (20") or XL (22") size in the Diamondback Overdrive 29er Special Edition. :madman:

Hopefully someone can chime in and give me some advice or personal experience. :)

I am 6"4 and 205 pounds. Inseam 34.

Which should I go for sight unseen?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm about an inch taller than you, in height and inseam, and 20" is way too small for me. I would certainly lean towards the 22" (in general, no direct experience with Diamondback bikes/geo).

Do you have another MTB already? what model and size is it? Compare geo numbers of the two and go from there...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Fit is a personal thing, there's some people 6'+ who rides mediums and then there's others who ride the XLs. I'm personally 6'2.25" with a true 35.25" cycling inseam and ride an XL/22", so if you aksed me I'd say go with the 22"/XL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6'4" 220 lbs with a 34" inseam and own the 20" large. The overdrive feels bigger than other 29ers. My dad who's 6'2" rides the medium and I've ridden both the medium and the large. The large fits me great. When I first bought it it felt tall to me and took some getting used to. The medium still feels good to me (I almost sold my L and got the M) and because of the standover is a lot easier to jump and throw around.

Having ridden these bikes for almost 2 years I would definitely go with the large. The XL will feel too tall and be harder for downhilling even when you drop your seat. If you're looking for a commuter and won't be doing anything dynamic the XL would probably be okay but the L will be best all-round for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well...

I have a db overdrive and I like the overall geometry. The only thing to consider is the top tube length ... and on a 22" frame it is pushed out to 25.5" which is a pretty good reach. Personally for me I did get a 22" frame, and I'm at 6' 2.75" with a longer torso and I STILL found the reach after a couple months to be a little long. I may now have to consider going to a 20" frame...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 6'3", 33" inseam, and bought a Diamondback Response XE mountainbike. The salesman fit me to a 22" frame. When I pointed out that I had bad Achilles tendons from decades of running plus an operation, he suggested dropping down to a 20" frame to save my tendons. That's worked out perfectly since I only occasionally have very slightly sore tendons after a ride and they're fine by the next day. But otherwise, 22" would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i'm 6'4, 190lbs after post ride burrito, with a 34" inseam.

i went from a XL 21" 2008 stumpjumper (26er) to an XL 22" 2011 giant anthem X29, my first 29er.

its true, every bike is different. although i didn't test ride any other 29ers before i bought my anthem, from my previous measurements i was convinced i would be ok on the large 20". after one ride i knew i was dead wrong, and went for the XL, which fit like a glove.

its hard to tell from the nashbar website about the specs, and you should specifically be concerned about the stem length and seatpost length. not sure if you were planning on swapping these out anyway, but the seatpost that came on my anthem is the same seatpost they use on smalls through the extra larges, which is 375mm. after my fit we decided i needed to swap it out for a longer seatpost, and i settled on a 410mm.

i honestly think you should go with the XL. its better to go a little too big than too small, you might regret it. swapping out stems and seatpost can only fix so much if its too small.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to test drive either the L (20") or XL (22") size in the Diamondback Overdrive 29er Special Edition. :madman:

Hopefully someone can chime in and give me some advice or personal experience. :)

I am 6"4 and 205 pounds. Inseam 34.

Which should I go for sight unseen?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:
Hey man, i know this is a old post but just wanted to see what frame did u go with? Im too deciding on a 20" (L) or 22" (XL) on the 2013 overdrive im same height as you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only have ridden Specialized but I have 2 MTB's. One is large and the other is XL. I am exactly 6'2 with a 34 inseam.

I have a 110 stem on the large, and 105 on the XL. They both feel perfect, but I have spent a lot of time fitting them both to me. That is also just as important IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.