Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm working in Rome and relocating New Hartford and Clinton area. A decision factor proximity to some sort of dirt single track to get the quick fix. Can someone confirm if there is accessible mountain biking in Clinton?

I keep hearing about trails in the Root Glen area, but when I drove up there, the big wide crushed gravel paths said no bicycles. Is there technical single track for mountain biking also part of this trail system?

I New Hartford, I heard that Sherrill Brook park has trails.

Any help or pointing me to someone that really knows these two areas would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is definitely some good single track at Hamilton College; it's in the Kirkland Glen that is adjacent to the Root Glen. Turn left on Green Apple Way (if heading up College Hill Road), follow it all the way around and park in the second to last parking lot on the right across from Keehn and Root Halls. You'll see the entrance to the main loop trail in the Kirkland Glen at the edge of the lot. This gets a lot of use by dog walkers and runners, but there are single track trails off of this trail that take you further down into the Glen. There are more trails on the north end of the campus; enter at the edge of the athletic field behind the Woolcott House.

There are also great trails in and around Sherrill Brook Park you can find by exploring. Stop into Dick Sonnes Bike Shop in NH; they can help you.

Now we just have to wait for the trails to dry up; I hate mud season.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AleRider,
Can you give a comparison between the Kirkland Glen and other Hamilton trails and Sherrill Brook Park in terms of general length, level of technicality (narrow twisty single track, rocks, roots), amount of traffic (runner/hiker/biker) and ride able season.

thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Hamilton College/Kirkland Glen trails dry out quicker than SBP. Hamilton gets more walkers but only on the main trail in the Kirkland Glen. Most trails in SBP are outside or on the fringes of the park and get little traffic. Hamilton trails are more buff with quicker steeper ups and downs, SBP is more rooty/rocky/rutty, both have nice single track. You can get 8 - 10 miles in at both, that includes some campus assault at Hamilton. I ride both year round except for mud season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.