Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm Mark from PA. I've been reading for few months and i become big fan of the forum. Sometime its good info, sometime its funny and sometime is like junk measuring contest. So i'm on the market for new bike. My girlfriend wants to get her bike from Wallmart called NEXT. For her its mostly about colour. It could be good enough for her, since she'll never take it off the pavement. For me its different story. I'm 6'2'' and i weight about 275(maybe more). I used to be good on BMX long time ago. Now i want to start again on mountain bike. I don't want to spent too much, but because i'm big guy, i'm affraid to get something cheap. Lets face it, soner or later i will do something crazy or stupid. Wanna go off road. I probably need full suspention, good pedals, ..... . Any suggestions?? thank you very much

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
welcome!

what's your budget? go to as many local bike shops as possible and see what they have available. you want to at least get a bike from a LBS like a trek, giant, kona, specialized, etc. there are of course hundreds more and others can mention those once we know your budget.

keep on researching here on this site and go to your LBS educated about what's available and at least what you may be interested in. you may like a 29er instead of 26" wheels. a FS bike can work but also you'll be paying a lot more. a decent entry level HT can be around $500-$600- the cost goes up with a better fork, components, and wheelset. at your weight, it's not mandatory to get a heavy duty wheelset but may need to maintain/true them more frequently.

regarding your wife, even if she is just doing road/path riding, try and stay away from walmart bikes- they are heavy and can easily discourage one from riding their bike. she can get a good enough hybrid-type bike for a few hundred.

enjoy shopping around and researching various threads here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts