Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was just looking at bike stores and online bike stores and when i see a section for lubs i also see cleaners but not alot, i was wondering if alot of these big bottle lubricants act as a cleaning agent also. for example could i lub the chain then rinse it off then lub it? or what? the main thing im trying to get here is im just trying to keep my crank and chain and derailers clean, does anyone have any advice. THANK YOU. :)

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
speeddevil456789 said:
Hi, i was just looking at bike stores and online bike stores and when i see a section for lubs i also see cleaners but not alot, i was wondering if alot of these big bottle lubricants act as a cleaning agent also. for example could i lub the chain then rinse it off then lub it? or what? the main thing im trying to get here is im just trying to keep my crank and chain and derailers clean, does anyone have any advice. THANK YOU. :)
Clean, then lube (or lub, if you prefer ;-), wait a few minutes and then wipe the excess lube off your chain.

Cleaners and lubes are not the same thing.

Ken

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some lubricants contain solvents to carry the teflon particles (tri-flow) or graphite (finishline I think) into the chain to get between the rollers. The solvent evaporates and leaves the teflon or graphite. These solvents do "clean" the chain to a little extent but not as much as necessary. The best thing to do is buy a chain cleaner and throughly clean you chain periodically for best shifting.

You can buy a good chain cleaner cheap and they work very well. It's easy to clean a chain and the benefits are tremendous on a geared bike. That's a good thing about single speeds, they don't need a chain nearly as clean to work well.

Clean the chain, lub it, wipe off the excess, ride and have fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1-step

There is a product out that is a cleaner and lubricant all in one. It used to be called Metro Lube, but I think it is now called 1-step, from finish line. It works great if you have a low mechanical aptitude. If you have a little nicer bike, and have the extra time, use seperate cleaners/lubes. In the long run they will work better. My personal favorite is DuMonde Tech. No widely available, but work the best. You only lube when the chain starts to squeak again. They have a couple different formulas www.hgnr.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
It all depends on what type of riding you are doing and in what conditions (muddy - oil based lube, dry - wax based.) Whichever lube you use, keep degreasing to a minimum as it will do more harm than good in the long run unless you ride in extreme conditions. It is best to lube your rig periodically, allow 24hrs for the lube to set in each time. Upon application wait a few minutes before wiping off excess. After each ride, apply small amount of lube, wait a few minutes, and wipe off excess. If you do this regularly, you can avoid degreasing your chain (unless riding in mud or extreme conditions). If you have to degrease make sure your chain is completely dry before adding lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.