Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GSD Protection
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Military vet, just got out of the service and got a North Face yavapai hardtail and I already want more. I'm looking at some used fs all mountain bikes online and would like your help as to which way to go. I'm willing to spend up to $1000.

Here are the 2 I'm looking at on craigslist

My question, I live in ft Collins and I'm wanting a good fs all mountain rig. Which would best suit me?

Diamondback Mission 1 Mountain Bike w/ Full Suspension

Gary Fisher Cake 2 Mountain Bike - Medium - Great Condition

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What type of terrain do you expect you'll be riding? That might dictate what bike you'll like the most. I would, just given the two bikes, go after the Diamondback before the GF. The Cake is pretty darn old. Gary Fisher also kinda fell off as Trek bought and began killing off the brand.

It's good that you're looking used, and if you can, try to test ride the bikes and look for problems. A few minutes of inspecting things like welds, chainring teeth, etc can give you a good idea if the bike has been mistreated or not.

One more thing, it is usually pretty hard to beat the brand Giant in terms of value. They are fantastic bikes, fully as good as all the other big-name brands, yet they often cost less. Giant actually makes a lot of the other companies' bikes in their factory. I had a 2010 Giant Reign 1 that I loved. Incredibly good bike, both climbing and descending. When I sold it, I had put over a grand more into it, and it sold for $1000. I'd keep searching, and you'll find the perfect bike for you.

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
The mission for sure. Knuckle box suspension is great. That bike is actually worth upgrading in the future.

·
GSD Protection
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want something that can speed downhill, handle small jumps and drops, and that has the ability to climb when it needs to. I'll be riding mostly Colorado trails (dedicated mtn bike trails) I'm not so much into xc.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The Diamondback will be decent for sure. I'd still look for a used Giant Reign though. Plenty of them fall in the sub-$1000 category, and I'd argue that they are better in numerous ways than the Mission. Giant's Maestro suspension is better at staying soft for the descents but stiffens up under pedaling to keep it climbing well. Benefits of a floating pivot design vs a linkage-single pivot. Mine had a ProPedal lever on the shock, and I never had to use it at all. Beastly at descending.

·
GSD Protection
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rhino, ive looked into the Giant Reign, they look like solid rigs. My biggest thing is finding someone to let me make payments to them while they hold their bike and not sell it from under me...

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Out of those 2 the diamond back. Beware the Giant Reign as the lower link was very prone to fail. I'll throw this out there but one of best "value" bikes on the market for a looooong time would be the Santa Cruz Heckler.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
i had that mission. true 6 inch bike. 68 degree head tube angle. slack enough to get agressive. it has a very deep rear end. and pedals decent. definatly more in the ball park of what your looking for. unfortunaly mine did brake. but i got it welded and sold it to a guy whose about 220 and hes loving it. he cant figure out how i broke it. im not sure really either. i rode it hard cuz the bike liked it. the rear just ate up the trail.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
I have a 2009 DB Mission 1. Nothing on it is stock any more, except for the shock. 160 Fox 36 on it now. Works well downhill. Pedallng is not so good, but it's tolerable. I have a SC Nickel also, with 140mm travel rear (different shock). It pedals better. If you can find a Santa Cruz Butcher, I would take that over the Mission. It will probably not be in the same price range though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My biggest thing is finding someone to let me make payments to them while they hold their bike and not sell it from under me...
Woah now, you'd actually do such an arrangement? Over Craigslist? That sounds crazy risky.

Just save your money until you see the bike you want at the price you can afford with the cash you have on hand. If you see a great deal, relax, because if you miss that one there'll be plenty more opportunities. The used mountain bike market is thriving, especially somewhere like the Denver/Boulder area.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a 2009 DB Mission 1. Nothing on it is stock any more, except for the shock. 160 Fox 36 on it now. Works well downhill. Pedallng is not so good, but it's tolerable. I have a SC Nickel also, with 140mm travel rear (different shock). It pedals better. If you can find a Santa Cruz Butcher, I would take that over the Mission. It will probably not be in the same price range though.
in defense of the bike hes looking at, no its not the greatest climber, but putting a 160 36 is gonna make it climb like sh!t. On the bike hes lookin at its actually a 130 fork 32mm stanchions. Axle to crown 509mm with 68 deg headtube. 160 would be another 30mm plus some extra for going up 2 stanchion sizes. That gonna slack out the heatube and the seatube. That would take a stock seatube angle from 72 degrees to 70 or less. Yes it will climb like [email protected] if you do that. The newer generatiin mission are set up for 160 forks but not the older. Stock its decent not quite as good as mini link linkage but doable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts