Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new fork for my ride, like a responsible consumer I'm reading the instructions and I get to the part about setting sag. It states it should be 15 to 25% of total travel. I did some basic math and figure it would be between 19.5mm and 32.5mm for 130mm of travel. Please someone verify this for me. Thanks!

Also how does sag and weight work together? I am on the heavier side if the spectrum(230lb), Should I set more of less sag? Or is it strictly a "feel" thing.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
you calculations are correct...it is more of a "feel" or taste thing.... more sag is more comfortable to ride..the suspension will be more sensible to absorb small bumps... less sag, will be a bit more responsive

·
Training for vacation
306 Posts
Which bike/fork? What kind of riding?
Usually the manufacturer will state somewhere around 15-25% sag for a firm or "XC" situation and 30-35% for plush or "Down hill". The exact percent changes for each specific fork and maker but usually fall with in the stated numbers.
The relationship between weight and sag is that more weight will result in more sag.
At 230lbs you may have to add air or buy a stiffer spring to get which ever number you choose. Forks seems to be made for t what the manufacture feels will fit the average rider weight (160-180?).

Ultimately you are going to want some characteristic of your fork. Too much sag, “too plush”, may result in blowing though the travel too easily. You’ll notice that the fork will bob when you move, dive too much when you brake, and bottom out too often. Not enough sag and your ride will be rough. You’ll feel it in your hands, arms, shoulders, back etc. Instead of soaking up the trail you’ll feel like you are bouncing around.

If you give us some info on bike, fork, riding conditions, etc, then we can help you with a starting point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! As for the bike, it's a Specialized Hardrock comp, the fork is a Rockshock Recon 351 coil. I had read somewhere that coil was better for heavier riders, and the fact that it's classified as an AM fork I think it would be more heavy duty for me. The setting and the pop lock are good for me with out them being overwhelming. Thanks again for the help guys.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
How to put it differently....

If you are heavier, you need to make the spring stronger to achieve the recommended sag. A light guy gets correct sag with a softer spring.

After that, you can fine tune it be feel: if the ride is too harsh, you can go a little softer; if you are bottoming out the fork, go a little stiffer. Many put a zip tie, or something, around a stanchion to see how much fork travel they are really using during a ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm either lucky or I measured wrong, I put on all my riding gear, filled up the camelback,
Had all the spares on (tube, patch kit, inflater, multi tool, and tire levers). Has my wife hold me steady while I sat in a normal riding position. I measured 28-30mm, that falls between the range. Now I just have to see if it bottoms out at the trail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.