Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a Specialized 2004 Enduro S-Works, with a brain. I am pleased with the bike but am not 100% sure if the Brain is working correctly.

Now I have spent all of my money on this new toy and cannot afford £112 to have it serviced with MOJO!

...However I am fairly mechanically minded and wouldn't mind having a go at a light service myself.

I cannot find any info or walk throughs on the internet about this.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP?

Thanks! :)

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Here's how you fix that rear shock:
1. pull it off your frame
2. throw it in the trash (or sell it on pinkbike :thumbsup:)
3. buy a RP23
4. mount said shock in your bike
5. enjoy

:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the sound advice ;) How good are the RP23's? Why are they so much better?

Does anyone else have brain info??

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
If your suspension is not fresh you will suffer on the trail. Even a 2 year old shock/fork with decent miles will not perform near full potential. Do yourself a favor and do whatever you can to get a fresh shock (either rebuild brain or new shock).

TRUST ME!!!! I've waited too long on a few of my forks/shocks and when I finally had them rebuilt it was like "wow, I can't believe I rode so long before I did this."

A RP23 is decent, I think there are some other options worth looking at though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a light service that you can do yourself sufficient? Or would the fork need a full shop service at £100 have to be the one?

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
I would suggest the full service. That would put the fork/shock back in original working condition and there is a big difference if the fork/shock has got more than 2 years or even more than 500 miles on them. This past winter I had 2 forks, 2 shocks service and even though it wasn't cheap I can tell that I could absolutely feel a difference in the performance of those said parts.

·
I work in .001 tolerances
1,245 Posts
Does anyone have advice on how to service a brain?
Yes. Fox re-assembles the brain unit in a giant tub of shock fluid so no air/bubbles can enter the brain. I'm talking a tub with gallons of fluid.
I'm all for doing your own service work but wow, this is on another level. I'll try to throw a pic on here for ref later.

From what i've seen, this is one of the most labor intensive shock rebuilds of all Fox products.

sent from my hand-held computer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brilliant... Thanks very much for the advice! I think I need to get it send off to MOJO then. Ha! And to think I could have a crack at this myself. No wonder there is a huge lack of info on the internet.

Thanks Homegrown

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Change my mind on the RP...go for a Monarch 4.2.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I'm gonna consider that a momentary lapse of reason. (recommending the Fox) ;)

'Specially after the discussion about my RP3. The brain makes that look like a walk in the park!
Don't take it personal ;) The ability to tweak the IFP pressure of the Monarch can seriously help w/ mid-stroke wallow on my Nomad MK1. The fact that RS made that a tuning option w/ standard atmo air has definitely caught my favor.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who'd swap me a 4.2 for my RP... :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow how did you get there and toke those pics, THANKS by now I just need the IFP hight and the pressure to finish my 2005 Brain lite rebuild

·
Registered
272 Posts
Once you open a shock and understand principles of how it works (damping, spring and platform) all are mostly the same.
I decided to service mine and the disassembled process was very easy in fact, the brain lite just have an addition of the damping mechanism plus the hydraulic weight that activate the brain it self.
If you have been there before like I said you will find that the IFP it is located in the brain cartridge instead of the main shock body, appart that, it is pretty the same of any fox shock.
The particular info needed here are the IFP height and the nitrogen pressure (not found yet) to work properly, the pics of how to refill the oil in this thread have been very helpful, thanks.
I do not know why Fox it is plenty of info about the specifics of cars, moto and snowmobile shocks but cero info on bicycles ones.
olliechapman_2 if you are with me so far you can understand what am I saying if not, is not easy at all try to explain every little thing involved with out hand on experience, as was previously said this is one of the most complicated if not the most of the fox line of shocks I ever work with

1 - 20 of 23 Posts